Tech Talk

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by dragonjbynight, Apr 25, 2008.

1. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

Every thread I have read through invariably has one thing in common. Besides repairs, basic building and computer programs, every boat has to be powered. Whether it be by wind, inboard, outboard, trolling motor or even the occasional weed eater.

I am starting this thread for all of us to gather and toss in some new ideas on old thoughts. We all know that costs of gasoline, diesel and any other type of petroleum product is outrageous. We also know that e-85 would not be a good fit into an existing out-board motor.

What improvements can be made to these ideas to make them work better, more economically and more enjoyable. Can a new inboard or outboard motor be designed to work on E-85? Could a smaller solar panel be reoutfitted to charge a deep cycle battery on the fly for a trolling motor extending its hourly usage?

Any discussion, questions answers or ideas are welcome. We may not be able to fight the petrol companies, but maybe we can get away from them.

2. dragonjbynight

I know there are many people on here who use trolling motors. One of my several crazy off the wall ideas, stemming from having to paddle back in when the battery dies is using the weedeater with a car type alternator to provide supply power to the trolling motor. (kinda like a train, diesel generator providing power to the electric motors that move it). What do you think, would it be feasable? I was thinking ridding it of the shaft and placing a pulley or gear at the end, mounting it and either using a short chain or short run v belt between the two.

Would have applications beyond just trolling motors though, any 12 v lighting, sound or otherwise central low voltage system could theoretically be utilized by it.

The only issues i can think of would be whether the draw would be too much or if a pulley system can be mounted to the shaft without too many problems.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Of course an outboard or inboard can be designed to run on E-85. It would only require a few modifications. For that matter in Brazil just about everything runs on E-85. The simple fact is the engine builders in the US simply haven't done it yet. But they will eventually. Most inboard engines are based on automotive enginces, for the most part GM. SO it's not a big stretch. Honda 4 stroke outboards are based on Honda auto engines so the same applies.

4. dragonjbynight

Well, in doing a lil bit of google searching, i came across this website: http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html It has a pretty good idea for building a small 12v generator. I like to camp out and some places are only accessable by boat, when using my 12' rowboat, it takes a couple trips across and I love the silence of a troller. I wanted to see if this idea would work as a means to recharge the battery while "out of touch" seems like it would, as well as being able to run a few amenities, without using a huge amount of gasoline.

Main questions, would the amount of gas expended by the "generator" be less than what it would take to run a small outboard?

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

You get nothing for nothing in this world.

6. dragonjbynight

ain't that the wicked truth lubber...

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You like the silence, but you want to run a generator? Get yourself some solar panels to recharge your battery. They are nice and quiet.

8. dragonjbynight

Solar is also an idea, have several solar L.E.D. lights that work fairly well off a small charge. Offhand does anyone know the efficincy rate of todays panels?

9. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Man, you left pedal power off your list. You could run either a prop or your generator with pedals.

10. dragonjbynight

My sincerest apologies tinhorn, never did i mean to leave out people power. Thats the main reason I started this thread, still having fun on the water, but without lining the oil companies pockets..lol

11. Mykul

Mykul junior member

Have you thought about using water to power your boat? http://www.run-a-car-on-water.com/. water is free fuel. why not use it! I have heard of people that can run there car on 100% water. Though am not sure how this would work in a 2 stroke, or a fuel injected engine. I have the plans to build the unit but I am not mecanicly gifted enough to building it.

12. dragonjbynight

While I have heard of this before, it has never mainstreamed. As the method adds a small amount of water into the fuel just before the injector. (as I understand it, does not run on water) I have also heard that It actually decreases your mpg by people who have used it. Not too mention stutter problems and the like(ever have water in your gas, same theory)

Now if it comes out that you can fill your tank with water, and no more fuel, I will be happy

13. Mykul

Mykul junior member

Sorry let me be more specific. Before the water is introduced to the engine, you must first put electricity through it to separate the oxygen and hydrogen. (Hindenburg + oxygen= alternet fuel)The process has a name but high school chemistry was along time ago. (10 years) I would only use this in addition to gas, because I live in Canada where the temperature is sub zero (C) for a quarter of the year.

14. dragonjbynight

Ok, Different Idea, looked into this abit, the implications are astounding to say the least. Its not hydrogen, with oxygen as a biproduct, its HHO gas. Slightly Different. If it can be mainstreamed, especially at low cost, then there is going to be some huge changes. It would be equatable to propane, just without the refining costs.

I would reccommend everyone to at least check out the news broadcast on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKM4pb9Oxrg

15. Mykul

Mykul junior member

Yes it is HHO gas, but both water and HHO gas are made up of hydrogen and oxygen, the important thing is you where catching the drift I was flowing on. I will post the plans for the device. However this might be the wrong forum.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.