edwin monk "truant" help

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ziptie, Oct 4, 2013.

1. ziptie

ziptie New Member

hi guy's
    new to all this stuff, so bear with me. I decided to have go at building truant by Edwin monk, I've cut the stem and transom and assembled frames 3 and 5 as per instructions, but then it hit me, why can't this building process be brought up to date. Can this craft be constructed wholly or partly using the stitch and glue method. I've got my own ideas on how to do this, but it would be great to have some input. The stage is yours

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Truant as it appears in "How to Build Wooden Boats" is essentially a developed design. You could eliminate the frames, chine logs, sheer clamp, etc. and just make her a taped seam build. This conversion wouldn't be difficult, though you'll want a few ring frames and/or bulkheads to accept athwart and rigging loads.

The 1/2" cedar side planks could be replaced with 3/8" (BS-6566 minimum) plywood, ditto the bottom. You'll probably want a keel batten and rub/inwale/clamp arrangement at the sheer, but the deck and interior supports will take the loads easily.

This said, there are dozens of this size and arrangement boat plans available in taped seam, so the conversion wouldn't be necessary. For example the deck beams on Turant are on 9" centers, which is fine for a plank on frame build, but way more then necessary on a taped seam build. You might be best advised to just find a taped seam design, more suited to your desires. The advantages are more than just the construction method, you'll also get an updated rig and sail plan, which will make getting sails and hardware a bit easier.

4. ziptie

ziptie New Member

guy's
    thanks for responses. I've read the link regarding the possibilities of changing the materials and construction, which I've taken on board, but as for altering the design that's a no-no for me. All of what was written in the link was what I had in mind. If I box in the cockpit put a couple of bulkheads up front, and few bits of bracing and stiffening here and there it should work (fingers crossed). I think ill give a bit more thought first though. ziptie

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.