teak rubrail backing

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by William C. Wins, May 17, 2010.

1. William C. Wins

William C. Wins Junior Member

When I took off the teak rub rail I found a rubber like 1/16" tackly strip on the back of the teak strip. What purpose does it serve? Can I eliminate it and just screw the bare teak back onto the hull? If it serves a useful purpose, what product do I use?

William C. Winslow

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

It might cover the hull / deck joint and provide some watertightness at that critical spot.

Any further info on the boat? Material, size, brand? Pictures?

Regards
    Richard

3. William C. Wins

William C. Wins Junior Member

It might cover the hull / deck joint and provide some watertightness at that critical spot.

Any further info on the boat? Material, size, brand? Pictures?

Regards
    Richard
    G
    The boat is a Cornish Crabber, a 27' Britich design, 2001, fibreglass hull. Will send pix if I can figure out how to do so. I would think if they wanted a watertight seal, they would have coated the back of the teak with 5200, but what a ***** to take off.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

When you reply using the "Quote" button, then scroll down to "manage attachements", you can upload pictures.

Not sure they would have used 5200! Maybe they used Sikaflex or similar. And maybe it was only there to protect the backside of the teak rail from water ingress?
    And, why not asking the manufacturer directly?

Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.