Teak Row Boat will it work ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by eslcorp, Jul 17, 2006.

1. eslcorp

eslcorp New Member

Hey everyone I need some Help if anyone can help out that would be great.

I am having a manufacture overseas build a wooden row boat about 15' + they are making it from teak will teak WORK?

Also are they any plans out there that i can just send to the manufacture if so where can i get them ?

Also will i need to get somekind of permits in the usa to use it at the local lake etc... ?
    This manufacture builds custom boats so they need a desing or plans from me,.
    Any help would be Great Thanks

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yes, it will be heavy...but it will last longer;)

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Sure it will work. Just like one form oak will. Heavy as hell, but that can be a good thing too.

4. Jim@WildDesign

Jim@WildDesign Industrial Designer

5. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I saw a boat at Marion Lauderbeck's shop in South Bend, Washington that would probably be a good candidate for building with heavy woods like teak. It was a boat that they used to ferry oyster pickers out to the oyster beds on Willapa Bay in the early 1900's. It was a lot like a whitehall on steroids; but a very beautiful boat. I don't know if there are any existing drawings of it or not, but I could try to find out if you are interested.

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You don't need any permits. Call this number and ask them for their pamphlet on importing a boat for your own use. Rick Gipe 202-267-0985 or rgipe@comdt.uscg.mil. It will need a Hull ID number, which you may be able to get from the state you live in. If not then the Coast Guard will issue you one.

As some one said teak is heavy but will last a long long time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.