Teak Decking Over Steel - Bad Idea??

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Tygafan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I took a look a t your origami boats for the first time
    I have never seen so much junk, I would be ashamed to own such, paint 20 a gallon,? 5 dollars a litre, now I know you are bonkers, really bonkers Brett, ah well, you a re also very angry, let it go be happy, I express an opinion once, , I do not rabbit on and on, as I said take my advice or leave it ,i could not care less,

1 person likes this.
  2. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

teak decks

Home Hardware Fishboat paint ,an oil based enamel is still under $20 per gallon and I've found it to be an excellent paint. I've never paid more tham $20 per gallon for deck paint. Defeatists never look beyond the first hurdle.
    When I wrote my book I said there is no point in me repeating what everyone else has repeated ad nauseum. People said " I haven't seen anything in it that has been written anywhere else."
    Most books tell you how to empty your pockets of all assets and go deep into debt before you ever get out cruising. Mine tells you how to avoid that.
    I heard a rumour that Dashew is now working on a new book called "How to cruise on $10,000 a day" or something like that.
    People who sell expensive hardware or make a living on promoting the elitist illusion that the only way to get out cruising is to throw huge amounts of money at them, and into their pockets , hate my book and my boats, with a self interest vengence, as do elitists who want to make cruising available to only the rich.
    Show me another book that tells you how to tack together a 36 foot hull and decks in less than a week, and how to build a 540 gallon per day watermaker for under $1,000 , and sheet blocks for under $2, and self steering for under $25, and a engine driven welder for $35, etc etc.
    Shame on me for doing that . I may even allow the not so rich to cruise. I make no apology for doing that.
    The website has several thousand members who outvote you , and is one of the most active metal boat discussion groups on the web.
    Bonkers? I guess a guy who manages to cruise 11 months a year since his mid 20s and helps others do the same , must be totally bonkers compared to those who work their entire lifetime to get to cruise 2 weeks a year, and on weekends only. If the latter are sane by your definition, then thank god I'm not sane by your definition.
    As I mention in my book " You can judge the value of advice by taking a critical look at what it has done for the person offering it."
    Me , angry? No I just can't resist responding to such lame arguements as some put on websites, like shooting ducks off a fence.Their foolish comments threaten to cost people far more than they need to pay to get out cruising, or possibly cost lives.
    Be Happy? Ya sure , when I wake up in beautiful anchorages 11 months a year, having semi retired in my mid 20's, turn on the traffic reports and listen to how the other half live, then have to make such tough decisions like whether to spend the day hiking , swimming , diving, hunting, sailing or just shooting ducks off a fence on the internet, I cant help thinking " Gee I'd sure like to trade places with the people in those traffic jams going to a job they hate and having to suck up to a boss they hate."
    I wouldn't trade lives with anyone I know. If I had to live life over again I wouldn't do much of anything different. If I can still say that at 90, then that is my definition of success.
    Brent

3. topdogeye

topdogeye New Member

Epe

Do yall ever use Epe on decks for boats?

4. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

Never heard of it. What is Epe?
    Brent

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.