Teak Deck on a cat, check it out!!

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Gypsie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Gypsie

Gypsie Randall Future by Design

Just finalised a .008mm deck on a Fontaine Pajot Bahia 46. Used the best teak money can buy and Fixtech Marine Solutions products http://www.gypsiemarine.com/convert_and_invert1.htm to put it down. Went for a straight plank design all nibbed into the margins and it came out beautiful. Check out my site for some pics http://www.gypsiemarine.com/projects_pics.htm
    The whole lot weighs about 240 kilos (about the same as three people) and using the new Fixtech Teakseal that lasts for up to six months the life of this deck is expected to be long.

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

looks nice. Though on an otherwise all plastic hull (FRP) you use wood as the deck surface? Does that not increase the yearly maintenance? Or does the teak provide a good low slip surface with minimal maintenance? Or is the owner willing to do the maintenance just to improve the appearance.

Also I find it hard to believe that is is 8 thousandths of a mm think. That is thinner than a sheet of paper. Is that a typo? Do you mean 8 mm?

3. Gypsie

Thats 8mm thick (3/8") mate, the maintenance of the deck is minimal using the Fixtech Teakseal product but is not a huge concern with the owners who where mainly seeking aesthetic value, it does look very good.

4. tcpbob

tcpbob Junior Member

fancy meetin you here!

Hey Randal, tcp bob here.

.oo8mm.... I know the stuff is dear but.. BTW... 3/8th inch? Nah mate, that about 5/16th. Trust me on this... i'm bi-lingual.

I have commenced building my new boat. Going out to the shed in a few minuted to start on temp frames and panel assembly....WISH YOU WERE HERE! she is a duflex cat, Bob Oram design from my scriblings. I've got the story posted to the web site, including my bitches about the duflex panels... pretty ordinary quality so far.

In hong kong yet?

cheers

bob

5. Gypsie

A great place to meet!!

Hi Bob, checked out your plans and it looks good. I would be interested to keep track of how she develops, you have a great attitude to the project.
    Still in Singapore considering options for 2008, could end up anywhere.
    Cheers
    Randall

6. tcpbob

tcpbob Junior Member

Hey dude!

Thanks and yes I will continue posting galleries and comments for the duration. It will be a continuing saga for the paper as well. My ambition is for the first truly floating boat mag. Once done I could wind up anywhere at any time..... so keep a coldie in the frigde for me eh? and lemme know where the wind takes ya.

cheers

bob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.