Teak Deck adhesives

Discussion in 'Materials' started by mjkkemper, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mjkkemper

mjkkemper Junior Member

question. I did search on here for what types of adhesive to use for adhering a teak deck to fiberglass (actually poly-gelcoat) . Seems like epoxy is common. I came across a product from Teak Deck systems - TDS FITTING EPOXY (FE180A). a bit more that epoxy. Its a more of a teak deck for cosmetics so would a Polyester resin thicken with micro-balloon's work? Or would this be a bad idea and it would delaminate off the fiberglass over time?

If using epoxy do you thicken it with anything?

Thank's hope I am not asking a question that has been asked a million times

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Teak is fastened to a substrate. The only time it's glued is when the teak is a veneer, in which case polyurethane is the usual choice. The TDS epoxy is a modified resin to improve it's elongation properties. In fact, I'll bet it's a rebadged product, as I don't think they're formulating their own version.

Polyester will not hold teak for very long. If the teak stock is 3/8" or less, it's a veneer. If it's thicker, it's a plank and should be fastened. Any marine epoxy will do and at $115 a gallon, it's pretty expensive goo from TDS. Yes, it'll need to be thickened if making your own goo. System Three, West System and other formulators are marketing lower modulus, elongation epoxies, pre-thickened, if you want to save the bother of making your own.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I have used elastometers (flexible goo) with better results than epoxy. They have longer work time and don't need to be mixed. Sika makes some products specifically for teak.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.