Carolina Flare

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by lprimina, Mar 26, 2004.

1. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

Just to let people know out there. Brady Lewis (of Harkers Island) came up with the Carolina Flare.. Clem Willis(also of Harkers Island) and Brady Lewis built the first one. I have the pleasure of working with Mr. Willis's granddaughter, and hearing the stories of old time boatbuilding. Mr Willis is still alive, He now builds model skiffs and model sportfishers. I hate to say it but Mr. Lewis passed awaya few years ago.
    Ben

2. captword

captword Junior Member

they were the first to put it into production that is for sure. But during world war two the navy did try it on the pt boats. My grandfather was stationed at capelookout. He ran the subnet and gave ships there orders on where and how they were suppose to meet up with the convoys after they were loaded at the port. He said that the navy tried a couple of versions of carolina flair on there pt boat designs. BUt they didnt have the advanced epoxies we have now that was needed. My grandfather told me of how they couldnt take the pounding that the navy tried to put them through and had troubles with fractures. HE said that one boat after a hard southwester that the navy made them test run at top speed through, that the boat returned with part of the flair gone.
    Howard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.