TC601 trimaran design by Tim Clissold

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Tc601

===================
    Well, good luck! Its going to be one fabulously good looking 20' tri. I imagine it will have outstanding performance.

2. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Something around 20 feet...

Tks Wayne for the detailled insights... sounds all great and based on profundly knowledge.

Hm.... I think with the Raw30 (Tony Grainger) and Diam24 (VPLP) we see clearly what is goingin the market, positively.

Daim24 meanwhile builds 3 boats per months and with a selling of 70 boats they will become an own class in next 2-3 years.

The boat one gets ready as racing version under 50 Thousand Euros... and the French are very open to export their boat.

Sounds lots of practical experience behind your concept... trust building with potential buyers. :)

yep... WETA is all about fun and safetyness plus easy handling. And the customer orientation gives new buyers, e.g. families a good feeling to be in good hands.

Weta has great teaching videos... which make it very easy for starters to have fun with the boat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irZIajCrYIY

And they do a good marketing with community oriented promotion... you know the "WETA SMILE" ? :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RzYEJdD3sk

If you have a competitive boat, and the shape of your mainhull looks like it you'd might think about to start a production company. It does not need a lot, just little bit risk capital investment.

Otherwise today with CAD the concurrence is quickly round the corner and stealing your ideas. As boats can be designed and built within one season nowadays as we have seen with all the new foiling classes appearing like mushrooms since 2013... and the new production facilities in Asia (e.g. Vietnam, Thailand).

If you have enough space for little bit accomodation in the cabin - so its not just a purely wet day racer - I think you have big potentials with the boat... and so long you are in the prize range of a Diam24 - RAW30 it can find its customers around the globe I am sure. The Asian market is very promising.

Good luck for your project ! ... and as soon the prototype is ready for first test sailing let me know :)

3. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

We all envisage that any design will make it big time, but I'm not so sure there's enough money to be made at this size level to make the design into a production boat. Theres very little difference in material and labour cost to make a 20ft boat with cabin v a 24ft boat with cabin, maybe 15% on your costs. A 20 footer is going to retail at say 30K Euro a 24 footer 75K, on a business level you would make the 24 footer.

4. Skip JayR

Skip JayR Tri Enthusiast

Big THinking.... small steps...

Let decide the customer / public... many boat yards started small and over time (in very short time) climbed up into bigger sizes.

Anyhow your 20 footer project might stay a "single built project" or it could be seen as a reference for your boat building skills for something bigger later... it is the start for something new.

We never know what the future will bring to us positively. :)

What about foiling ??? Since 2013 we entered into a new era of sailing... do you intend to equipp it with some uplifting foils ? ;-)

5. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Mmmm I am not a full foiling advocate on this type of boat, foil assist in the Ama's yes but not full foiling. Remember the first design of this boat was based on A Class hulls with C boards as Amas, it was only later that we took the F18 donor route as they were the best value for money option, that fitted the brief and were readily available.

If you want to build foiling boats then you have to build light weight otherwise the efficiency gained with foiling is lost with the extra drag when you are not. With cabin based boats at this size then you would need to have large surface area foils and that means it will be a dog at sub 10 knot speeds, which in truth, is what most people do, most of the time.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.