panelling of cabin

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by chimay75, Apr 2, 2008.

1. chimay75

chimay75 New Member

Hello ,I've got a small sloop made of Corten steel and I'm about to start my own inside cabin inter.panelling as soon as the weather cond. would change a bit here in Finland.
    Bought Kaya Mahogany 10 mm x 50 mm -(208 meters). 600 feet of the panel strips should do the job for cabin walls . For ceiling I've ordered 6 mm thick of mahog.plywood and for shelfs 9 mm and 12 mm stuff. I've spoken with a company which manufactures wooden boats and asked hints and tips how to do it.
    I bought Hempels "Impreg" no 1 and 2 for varnishing job, but I still have to get me some other poisons for the plywood brim ( is brim correct word ? )

Instructions I got for the job is , ofcourse the varnishing should be done first .After that you screw the panels horizontally , leaving a small gap 3-5 mm between the panels - in order to get the ventilation done properly .
    But ofcourse theres a question of what screws to use : brass won't last - I've been told , so silicone bronze would do the trick .And would it be plugged ...

But the actual questions is: where can I find my self a book which shows step by step how to build lockers,shelfs ,companionway ladders and gives good tips for the first timer ?

Read allready Fred P Bingham's "Boat joinery&Cabinet making "
    and M.Naujok "boat Interior construction" ... nice pics ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.