nida core deck - ?? mounting a center console

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mookiesboatwork, Mar 31, 2015.

1. mookiesboatwork

mookiesboatwork New Member

I am finishing a new 22' panga hull and a deck that I purchased from the manufacturer Panga Marine in Sarasota FL. I have many years of experience refitting boats (both as a business and for personal use). i am new to fiberglass. The deck is made of nada core with glass on both sides, this is the same deck Panga Marine uses on their production boats.

I have read that nada core doesn't hold screws well (thats pretty obvious)...so...what should I do to improve the fastening of the console to the deck? I thought of:

1. remove the top skin and core and fill with thickened epoxy around the base of the console

or

2. glass in place 1/2 inch expanded pvc board and fasten to the pvc

I need some suggestions.... help please

2. mookiesboatwork

I am not sure....can someone tell me why I haven't received a single response to this question? Did i do something wrong?

3. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Common practice is to substitute a higher density compression-bearing material for the core anywhere there will be point loads or thru-hull fasteners that would otherwise crush the core. Smaller fasteners can be done by over boring the hole and filling with epoxy and then drilling the fastener hole in the epoxy filled area.

Your #2 option could work by distributing forces over enough area that the top skin can bear the loads without crushing the core or tearing free. I generally would prefer #1 because it utilizes the both existing skins.

4. mookiesboatwork

thanks very much for your reply.

5. hardcoreducknut

hardcoreducknut Junior Member

Another option is to use composite decking as hard points in the deck. You wouldn't want to make the entire deck out of this stuff (very heavy). You could strategically cut parts of the nidacore out, then cut the decking into forms that insert into the cut out(s).

I did this for a console and then used insert nuts in the composite decking for my fasteners. Epoxy actually sticks to it pretty well, just make sure you sand it and wipe down with SLX.

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I would glass a vertical flanges to the deck and then run a few bolts through the console to the flange, that way your not giving a chance for puddling rain water to seep into your hull.

Alternatively you could cut out a deck access plate where the center of the console will be and put a back plate on your bolts. Armstrong makes waterproof ones.

7. mookiesboatwork

thanks for all your input :)