Tanker proa

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Konstanty, Apr 18, 2016.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

imagine the houseboat you could convert this too. :D

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Konstanty, you've seen sails on 1/2 a million ton, 250 meter long ships? Those of us that have a clue see dozens of issues and cast it aside as what it is. And why a proa? Are they going to sail on port tack the whole way 'round or are they really going to shunt that beast?

3. Spiv

Spiv Ancient Mariner

Mmmmm.

I've touched a few nerves....
    Well, at least I have tried to find out more about this idea contacting the inventor and posting my observations, without sarcasm, about the idea.

My sarcasm was in response to what was a personal attack by Par, who designs little yachts and write posts all day long while I go sailing around the world on catamarans and play with my grandkids when I am home.

So, I am out of here, going to play.
    You guys have fun with yourselves, I won't be back.

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Excellent

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

I know...awesome :p

But i'm sure someone wouldn't be happy and eventually try to put sails on it because they know better than everyone else :eek:

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

what is its purpose a h, something to do with oil industry ?.

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Click on the link given...and scroll down, all is revealed

An excerpt:

The twin-hulled vessel is 382 m long and 124 m wide. At the bow is a slot, 122 m long and 59 m wide, that enables Pioneering Spirit to straddle a platform and remove entire topsides in a single lift using eight sets of horizontal lifting beams. Two tilting lift beams for the installation and removal of jackets will be located at the vessel’s stern. Pioneering Spirit is also equipped with pipelay equipment that makes it possible to install record-weight pipelines from shallow to ultra-deep water, and achieve high lay rates.

Videos at the bottom of the page explain further too.

8. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

No, kite assisted ships already exist, and save a lot of fuel, at least that is what I read. So that when you dismiss kite assisted ships as laughable that kind of puts your remarks about other things in context.
    Just using the old 'if it was good everyone would have it' - I take exception to that but won't argue it here.

Other things brought up in this thread: I think the idea is to go from ship to ship and pull them. How do you propose to do that without a hull? Why would you need to pass under bridges? What is the issue with steering? Would a ship suddenly be unable to steer just because a rig was attached? Did you read that the intention was to turn off the main engine? Did you notice the foils on the contraption itself?

Years before the skysail I was researching and drawing flying kite boats made for pulling huge ships. The idea being that you could have close to full time utilization of the equipment and manpower by going where you are needed instead of the equipment sitting unused in doldrums, while tanking etc. Also the ships did not need to invest in anything, just pay fare corresponding to saved fuel. The skysail is apparently so well computerized that the ships do not even need extra crew to handle them. I still think kites are so much better rigs in almost every application, that fixed rigs should become something niche in the future. I will have them, I love fixed rigs.

9. PAR

Sigurd, I'm not sure whom you're talking to, but I haven't seen any mention of kite assisted ships in this thread. Though kites have been in use for a little less than 10 years on ships, it's been relegated to a very small segment of the market and relatively light ships. The biggest that I know of is about 70,000 tons and wee bit smaller than the 300,000 to 500,000 ton monsters this proposed rig is intended to target. SkySail has a nice system, but don't hold your breath on this being the wave of the future, as like everything else in yacht design, it has its drawbacks as well.

10. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

PAR, must have missed assisted /submarines/, or you edited. Sorry bout that. Not my intention to pull the thread onto kites, but to elaborate on reasons why one could want a rig that is not a fixed part of the ship but can go from one ship to the next. Seems some of you missed that detail in spite of the video showing the proa docking to the tanker. That said, kite subs are possible and could be useful for some things, haven't thought too much about it beyond hapas for flying/floating main hulls as well as for fishing.

Also, I don't see any cylindrical hulls. But indeed it would be hard to come up with any worse shape than the hemispherical ones shown.

11. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Please, not the kite submarines again.

12. PAR

Yes, please, more kite assisted submarine stuff.

13. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Now you are just stirring the pot to see where the mice run.

14. PAR

It's like turning on the kitchen light and watching the cockroaches scatter.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think we should develop a sub-surface, kite assisted proa. It should be autonomous and have one of the carburetors that make the engine run on water. Further, it should have an aluminum foil automatic dispenser for the passengers to protect their brains from the government's spy rays.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.