Tanker Barge 15.8x6x3

Discussion in 'Stability' started by naserrishehri, Jul 5, 2015.

1. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Yes, Sir (NavalSArtichoke ), you are rigth, I forgot that small detail, no rules applied to them, but my experience tells me that even for small vessels, the Administration requests that a minimum freeboard is justified. I designed quite a lot of different boats less than 24 m and they have always forced me to justify than the freeboard was enough and always, the representative of the administration has forced me to draw the load line on the side. In a tanquer, where a study of damage stability is requested, the minimum freeboard (the margin line) is the first thing to be defined.
    So I insist, though perhaps I'm wrong, it's convenient to speak with representatives of the Administration.

2. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

The OP did not specify a route of operation for this vessel (indeed, not too many details at all), so it's difficult to advise him properly.

Tank vessels usually carry oil, petroleum products, or other regulated cargoes (like chemicals), so these vessels must meet a set of intact and damage stability standards that most vessels of similar size can typically avoid. For a water carrying vessel, the environmental impact of any cargo spillage would be minimal.

At one time, ABS published rules for building and classing water carriers. According to those rules, MARPOL didn't apply due to the nature of the cargo (water), and neither did the damage stability requirements of MARPOL. The ABS rules stated that such vessels should meet the stability requirements in accordance with Part 3, Chapter 3 of the Steel Vessel Rules.

The ABS rules specify minimal intact stability requirements for vessels in port, and at sea, the usual IMO intact stability criteria should be met. Of course, if the flag state has stability regulations for such vessels, then these must be satisfied as well.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

NavalSArichoke, frankly, I do not know what does all this tirade with what I say in post # 16. Perhaps you wanted to prove something (your knowledge in a particular area?) but it has nothing to do with what some authorities undertake to comply with for floating equipment operating in its territorial waters, whatever their size. Regardless of MARPOL and all the things you know, I can assure you that there are some authorities requiring certain minimum security to their ships, even if they do not have a specific regulation to comply.
    Whatever the ABS says, a transport of water should not comply with MARPOL. I can not guess the thought process that you had to follow to make this revelation. Undoubtedly you know in depth the regulation of ABS.

4. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

I just pointed out some additional information, TANSL. Quite frankly, the only tirade in this thread comes from your previous post in the quote.

I merely pointed out that small vessels carrying non-hazardous cargoes don't typically have to meet a lot of regulations, stability or otherwise. Why you took this as a personal affront or insult mystifies me.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I suppose if I give you the reason, you will think that I have not taken this as a personal affront. Okay, I was wrong, non-hazardous small boats, and some others, are built without matching rules. Satisfied?
    P.S. : Naserrishehrri, do not listen to what I say and make a consultation with someone who can decide the issue.

6. Rabah

Rabah Senior Member

Hi dear naserrishehri,
    It is necessary to share problems into two separate:
    1. Calculation of the freeboard
    2. Calculation of the intact stability and unsinkability

1. If the tanker barge already exists and till now carried a fresh water, calculation of the freeboard considerably becomes simpler as there are documents for registration in the relevant port that is it is known full displacement and maximum draft.
    All depends on that what you make with the old hull. If you only make repair of injured shell plating and framing members, calculation is very simple.
    But if you change principal dimensions at repair, calculation becomes complicated from for requests of Classification organization necessarily to make heeling test of the vessel.
    Except for remaining documents it is necessary too and to present „ Strength calculation of the barge in full displacement on heaving / for operation area / “. From this document it will be visible full displacement and maximum draft that is we shall already know the real freeboard. It is necessary to compare only it with minimally allowable which is required under Rules of Classification organization.
    2. For calculation of the intact stability and unsinkability you can be guided by the criteria, specified in Australian Rules NSCV-Part C, Section 6-Stability:
    Ch. 5D-Alternative criteria for dumb barges
    And Section 6B-Buoyancy and Stability after Flooding, Ch. 8
    You can see them in program Maxsurf Stability

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.