Tank gauges

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by kaankarli, Nov 9, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ike I did not call the principle wrong, it is just not available in Turkey as far as I am aware. And I am aware of the market where I build.
    In general it is not worth reading Michaels posts, btw.

Regards
    Richard

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Check out WestMarine.com, now in Turkey, for cheap, okay gauges and senders.

As well, dip the tanks, it's the best way.

-Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. apex1

apex1 Guest

West is in Bodrum Tom, too far from Istanbul.

4. Submarine Tom

I believe there are now four West Marine stores in Turkey including Istanbul.

-Tom

"West Marine opens fourth store in Turkey

By IBI Magazine/Bahar Öztürk

West Marine, the world's largest retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has opened its fourth store in Turkey. The 700m2 outlet is located in Marmaris, not far from three marinas — Netsel Marina, Marmaris Yacht Marina and Albatros Marina.

West Marine first entered the Turkish market in 2008 when it opened an 800m2 store in the Kartal area of Istanbul — the first West Marine store outside of America. There are now four West Marine outlets throughout Turkey, covering the south coast and Istanbul.

(19 October 2010)"

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thanks,

did not know that, although I was in Marmaris a few days ago. But sure West is not my supplier anyway....:D

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

His Kaankarli, I was in the bilge preparing to do some painting, so I pulled the Black Water tank pressure probe out to show you.

As you can see its a shipyard constructed with a welded aluminum nipple on top of the Aluminum Black tank and the probe is constructed of normal PVC plumbing fittings, with a small tube coming out the top. This small pressure tubing is connected to and supplies the air pressure sensor sending unit assembly.

I took the top off the sending unit cover box but I couldn't identify the manufacturer of the electrical sending unit component. I believe it simply a pressure sensitive resistor inside ? . This resistor ? transducer then supplies power to an Led stack type gauge to read out tank volume. . I don't ,at the present, have the paper documentation on board the vessel for this sensor..Ill try to remember next time I at the office.

The actual pressure sensor looks very much like this common industrial sensor availble in Europe thru companies like RsOnline.
    http://docs-europe.origin.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0bab/0900766b80babc18.pdf

Attached Files:

7. kaankarli

kaankarli Junior Member

about West Marine, as a local I should say that they are for sure not the cheapest option for any imported device. almost all brands they sell have other distirbutors around.

Dear Michael,

thanks a lot for the effort, detailed information and the pix.
    I am really convinced about the system - at least the principal and willing to try it on my next projects.

previously I have asked if anyone knows a sight gauge for fuel tanks with class approval.
    couple of days ago I have seen onboard a 40+ meters 10 years old Heesen what I have been looking for
    you can check http://www.econosto.nl and look for "Level indicators
    Level indicators, reflex and transparent glass"

bests,

8. Submarine Tom

Re: West Marine

Buy what you like where you like my friend. But why would you not simply dip the tanks when need be?

-Tom

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Easiest guage for any liquid is to use a pressure sensor and a display unit, brown water, grey water drinking water, fuel, oil anything. I can even make mine to auto calibrate itself.

1 person likes this.
  10. michael pierzga

I think that pressure types are not good for fuel. best floats. I like fuel tanks to be robust and bolted shut...no pressure sensor tube sticking out . And whats auto calibrate ?

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

As long as you don't have an agressive acid ingredient mostly all pressure sensors would be fine. Auto calibrate means you apply power with the tank empty and the instrument registers that as say zero, then you fill the tank up and the instrument registers the max as say 100%. Any level in between then gets calculated and displayed. You can even linearise stepped tanks if you have an up down button on the instrument to set for different volumes. It eliminates the need to compensate some way for different depths in tanks, ie you can use the same instument for a 300mm deep tank and then use another for a 1m deep tank. You just cut the pipe off at the right length to reach the tank bottom.

There are various ways to measure liquid level, this is however the most uncomplicated for the user and probably the least expensive.

12. michael pierzga

I guess...sounds logical for a symmetric tank but what about a odd ball shaped yacht tanks? . Ive always had to manually fill with a metering device then mark the readout instrument say every 100 liters . Im looking at my readout now and a huge gap between 100 and 500 then a more linear readout till max. Perhaps Im missing something. And I worry about fuel tanks that could have any opportunity to vent into the bilge. I suppose you could design a pressure setup the eliminates this worry. Probably would take up much space.

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Same as this

14. michael pierzga

Ahh !! Now I understand. !! I guess the problem is Im not a boat builder very often, so Im most familiar with the stuff Ive got or been using for the past years. Most of the time Im a boat user and LONG LIVE THE DIP STICK... Yah ! never seen one fail !!!!!!!!!! Hey, should be time, very soon, for you to drop your boat building hat shed the overalls, park the power tools and become " Rear Admiral boat user". Poor guy.... Gonna be a whole new world of stuff to ponder !! like deck leaks !!! warm beer again !!! or what wise guy designed this toilet...Im gonna kill em'

15. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Fanie, how do you cope with changing barometric pressure? Use dual sensors and measure the differential?

I tried a Motorola sensor once when they were still quite expensive, but with a single sensor and low fluid levels I found it very inaccurate, sometimes even displaying negative values. And there also was a (smaller) error due to temperature variations.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.