Info on IONA

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jdodsonpa, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

I have a '70's 23' IONA Yacht sloop. I've had it for several years. But I cannot find out any information about the origin of the vessel, design, manufacturer or other info. The other day someone pointed out that my sail number was "5" and it has the original logo, sometimes mistaken for an Islander logo. The sail was a McKibbin and is probably the original. But the McKibbin web site has no information about the sail registry. I have tried several other web searches for the information and now am turning to you guys. Does anyone know "anything" about this boat??? She is a sturdy little craft. Help...

Jeff

jdodsonpa@earthlink.net

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Iona was a brand name of products built by Islander Yachts.

3. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Islander Yacht Story

Thanks to your post I decided to google Islander Yacht. I found a long post by one of the former owners that gave a really detailed (took me 15 minutes to read it) history. The article appears on www.islandersailboats.com under the "History" tab written by Ralph Brown.

For my part I was please to learn that the IONA was made from the Islander molds after the molds were sold to other yacht makers (Nordic Yachts and Mariner Yacht Company). In the article the author mentions the I24 as the origin of the IONA. I guess it is easy to shorten or lengthen a mold a bit. At any rate, it sounds like there were not a lot of IONA '23s built. Seems like there were some 32' models and a 25' one too.

Guess it will be impossible to find out anymore details about the model. But it is nice to learn what I could.

If anyone has more information to add, please do. Thanks again...

4. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

IONA Re-visited

Still looking for information on my IONA yacht. Maybe a recent visitor to this forum will come across this thread and be able to add something to the history, or the specs. I wanted to get information because I am being asked to get a PHRF rating for the boat. Any help will be appreciated.

5. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Still Looking for info on IONA

Maybe some of the new readers will know about the IONA I have. Please read the thread and comment if you can give me any information or direct me to someone or someplace that can.

Thanks

Jeff

6. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

I do not own an islander, but googlig around I've found this, navigating the web:
    Islander 23: W.I.B. Crealock, NA. Wayfarer Yachts. 1969 @$2,750. Also built in the U. K. by Russell Marine.
    Could you post some photos from your boat?

7. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

'69 Islander 23

Hi,

I believe, from what I have googled, the '69 23' Islander was the forerunner. I have a post earlier in this thread that directed you to a long post from a former owner of the Islander yacht manufacturer. He told the story of the IONA as a minor comment in his tale about the Islander company. Check it out if you like.

I'd be happy to post a picture of the Iona if I knew how. I'll try....

If this doesn't work, email me at jdodsonpa@earthlink.net and I will send you a couple.

Attached Files:

8. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Nice boat, definitely not looking like an Islander.
    I think the images may be of great help in your search.
    Cheers.

9. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Anymore info on IONA?

Still hoping for more info on the IONA sailboat specifications or history. Please read the above thread and help if you can.

thanks

Jeff

10. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

Latest.... Donated the IONA to a boys camp on Catalina Island for their program. It is a good training boat, very forgiving. And all lines lead to cockpit so it is easy to handle. And the boys can actually work on fixing it up.

But I found a ketch in San Pedro that I am looking into with a partner. So I started a thread on the search for information on Herreshoff 28.

Visit if you like. Pictures....

Casting off....

11. jdodsonpa

jdodsonpa Junior Member

latest Interest is a 50' schooner

12. maynardb

maynardb New Member

iona 23

If your boat is hull #5, I'm the original owner. I bought it in 1973; there were several hulls offerred but their craftsmanship then was lacking (the weave pattern showed thru on several hulls). She was a very stiff sailing boat with an 1100# lead keel and extra strong 3/8" rigging. We loved sailing her in the winter when many boats were sailing with reefed mains; I can't remember many times when she buried her rail.

The design of the outboard mount was crap, fabricated out of attractive phillippine mahogany but cut so the 1st good wave going out the Newport channel and OOPs! the motor was free and heading for the bottom. Lucky I always had a lanyard on it.

The full flat keel allowed us to careen her on the little beach near Balboa Island's Grand Canal (only when there was a high high tide). Friends promptly disappeared.

Hated parting with her!

Maynard Batchelder

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.