tall stories in short supply

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 2020, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I agree with Will here -lets have some serious replies please. 2020 is obviously very concerned about his head being too far off the floor and he needs advice on a boat with the ceiling higher off the floor than his head is.

Will is right--- All this talk about sheep being 20 dollars per hour--tut-tut

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Right Frosty sensible suggestion see what I can do.

Of course 2020 wouldn't be that tall if his head wasn't so far from his feet.

A person can be shortened. It's a simple operation of cutting a piece out of the bone of the leg and joining the bone back together. The cost of such an operation should be balanced against the cost of manufacturing a special boat and obtaining a standard design.

There yer go that was pretty sensible.

Poida

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes Berg it was very nearly sensible. But almost an identicle copy to the #5page that I posted.

I wish you would pay more attention,----and sit up.

4. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

sheep

sorry if I got confused between Aussies and Kiwis. Price of lamb must be getting close to prohibitive.

5. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Which makes even less sense when you consider that ceilings on a boat aren't where one would reasonably expect them to be.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Me ? No, no Frosty...it's YOU who is not paying attention. That suggestion came from my fellow Antipodean Poida.
    As to Will's note that lamb is now $20 an hour...that only applies to Merino. The common Wiltshire Down is much cheaper - but doesn't do 'French'.....:mad:

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Dot you call my mate Poida an -an- an- "antipoidian" of course hes Poidian,-- hes is Poida. And so is -his uncle poida.

8. 2020

2020 Junior Member

love the humour but is there any knowledge here?

The sheep line worked a treat at the pub last night, even the kiwis enjoyed it - thanks.
    I guess as is evidenced by the posts, the issue of height / design falls well outside the scope of most good peoples understanding. "You need to be shorter" could well be the designer/Naval Architects' motto!
    thanks for the chuckles if not the advice.
    cheers

quote: "Women love sailing because it's the only sport where a fat arse is an asset!" - sailorsradio.com

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

10. 2020

2020 Junior Member

no darts no sheep

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Now 2020...

What's to be done? There has to be a starting point for any dialogue. A picture of a damned beautiful yacht that just so happens to have low headroom. So you like that one, but it's too low-ceilinged?
    That's something a designer can get his teeth into. Past forty feet, it's not hard to shift a few details around, even construction details. Bulwarks go up a few inches, floors go down an inch, cabintop construction becomes cored rather than framed, a wee bit more crown, and suddenly you have four inches of additional headroom, but it's hard to tell much changed outside.
    Berths can be lengthened, really ONE berth matters. How difficult would that be? Depends on the particular design. Maybe four additional inches of length is possible by reducing the width of a single locker (coincidentally, that could be the very locker normally used for the step-stool! How serendipitous is that?).
    I just need to know. Is there anything else unusual about you besides the height thing? Some tall people have huge noses, or big giant feet, or ridiculously long femurs. Nature can be cruel. The guy down the road from me who helps me get my wood out, he's six-six, and his legs are most of that. When he gets in my Toyota truck, he actually picks up his legs with his HANDS to get them in or out.
    His femurs are easily as long as my whole legs. See, he could never sail, just like I could never be in a circus (unless there was a "normal sailor" exhibit, God knows why though).
    So do you have a picture of your dream boat that is too short?

Alan

13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Excellent Alan. 2020's problem solved at the stroke of a pen. Get detachable legs......

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

An Uzbekistan gentleman has just been declared the tallest man in the world by the Guiness book of records. He was 8 foot 5 inches.

The tallest man ever was a septic at 8 foot 11 inches from Illanois ,he died in 1940.

It was noted that both these gentlemen and most taller (giant like) people do tend to have lower IQ and that was paricularly obvious in thier communication skills.
    Quotation BBC archives.

15. 2020

2020 Junior Member

see!!! designerds just don't get it!!!!

Attached Files:

• 20m.JPG
      20m.JPG
      File size:
      16.2 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.