tall stories in short supply

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 2020, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Sydneysider! - not likely... a proud Taswegian....both of me;)

Yes - there was rather too much granite for my taste too. And whose idea was it to stick those bloody big subwoofers and speakers in anyway - they were on everything. Most, quite apart from their impracticality, were downright ugly!
    My overwhelming impression of the show, however, was the abundance of enormous wealth. Riviera, for instance sold 43 boats, worth 53 million $. This following on from the Sanctuary Cove boatshow, where total sales exceeded $150 million.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

It seems to me we are overlooking the ideas of a young American called David Bushnell who in 1776 designed a vessel with what appears a fair amount of head room. No sub-woofers; no granite tops; and none of those silly 'sticky-up' things.

Attached Files:

3. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

And so much of that boat's below the waterline!

As someone who has difficulty fitting into the smaller range of vehicles (I'm 6'3"), I can feel your pain. I worked on a tugboat once, the berths were all *just* too short. It was really hard to get a decent off-watch worth of sleep on that vessel; after a while, lack of restful sleep gets to be a serious safety issue.

4. 2020

2020 Junior Member

can I borrow your sister?

Tassie ain't no bad place (except for savage river - now those people ARE inbreds). a word of warning however, I've never met a boat broker who has sold less than 10million at any given boat show. So how come they need to borrow a couple of bucks to buy a shout? Check the australian marine industry report out for the TRUE import, export and sales figures - it seems to be poles apart from the industry propaganda. These guys use the actual import and new boat registration numbers, not media releases!!!!!!
    it's available at www.nauticalmediapartners.com.au

best boatshow moment was the video showing a white toothed peroxide wannabe soccermum saying .... and I quote ..... " and girls just look at this kitched, (arms waving widely so you couldn't actually see the galley, just her) and girls imagine the dinner parties you could have while cruising to tahiti"
    (Again it was a princess 52!!!)

are these people serious, do buyers of these things actually swallow this rubbish?

5. 2020

2020 Junior Member

can I borrow your sister?

Tassie ain't no bad place (except for savage river - now those people ARE inbreds). a word of warning however, I've never met a boat broker who has sold less than 10million at any given boat show. So how come they need to borrow a couple of bucks to buy a shout? Check the australian marine industry report out for the TRUE import, export and sales figures - it seems to be poles apart from the industry propaganda. These guys use the actual import and new boat registration numbers, not media releases!!!!!!
    it's available at www.nauticalmediapartners.com.au

best boatshow moment was the video showing a white toothed peroxide wannabe soccermum saying .... and I quote ..... " and girls just look at this kitched, (arms waving widely so you couldn't actually see the galley, just her) and girls imagine the dinner parties you could have while cruising to tahiti"
    (Again it was a princess 52!!!)

are these people serious, do buyers of these things actually swallow this rubbish?

ps: as a tasmanian, (a.k.a. a hobbit), I guess the height thing is not really a problem for you?

6. 2020

2020 Junior Member

see!!!! head room but no bloody bunk length, what is it with you designerds?

see!!!! head room but no bloody bunk length, what is it with you designerds?

Attached Files:

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Bunks ? Bunks ? Pah, what do you young sailors know. Fellers like old Walrus and I spent our lives at sea with nothing but a vertical hammock (one each - I hastily add....)mad:

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Hammock?---You were lucky, we used to dream of sleeping inth hammock.

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Dream ? Jeez you were lucky to afford dreams. All we had were the pictures formed by weevils in the soggy ships biscuits.....:mad:

10. Poida

Poida Senior Member

What's the next line in this skit?

You tell young people that these days, and they don't believe you.

Poida

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Precisely Poida. Spoilt young buggers. Spoilt from cradle to grave, bloody welfare state taken the adventure out of life. I blame Lloyd George, should never have been elected. As I mentioned to Frosty (another spoilt young bugger if you ask me) I've been drowned at sea many times - but do you hear me whingeing ? Not at all. Took it in me stride. Wrung me underpants out and carried on as though nothing had happened. And then I find the forums cluttered up with these six foot plus chaps gurning about lack of head room...Lucky to have heads if you ask me...a bucket was good enough in my day....Why, I could tell you about the time....ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Aye, but these six foot plus chaps are the ones you'll want by your side when you're downtown in some Third World sinkhole and all the lights go out....

Was we not there, they'd feed ye an 'andful of driii pooiison, cut ye in two wi' a bread knoife, and dance aboot on yer grave singin' 'Alleylooyer!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  13. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Pah. Just another of those regular happenings a chap expects at sea....Rights of passage - drowning and being hacked in half. But did I complain ? Not a word. Simply pulled myself together, wrung out my underpants, and went back on board, leaving a note for the cook to buy a new bread knife.

14. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

Austrailians

Man, you Aussies are tough! But then that's where the men are men and the sheep are nervous (kilts are a part of that )

15. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Sheep!... I think you're getting us confused with our Kiwi cousins....
    Speaking of which, they're a bit angry at the minute. Cost of lamb's gone up to $20.....
    Per hour;)

Now I hate to break up a good party - but I think our elevated friend 2020 was actually asking a serious question.......
    I certainly don't believe that 7' headroom and the spaces associated with being ...err... blessed with high volume... can't be accomodated in the sort of vessel you're describing. Our 36' Cheoy Lee (motorboat) enjoys 7' headroom - and it never fell over!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.