tall stories in short supply

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 2020, Aug 2, 2007.

1. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Apologies, 2020, I mistook your name. My message wasn't to you.

Alan

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hey 2020 - you'll easily recognise Poida - he's the only person I know who needs a 15-step ladder to board a helicopter....:D

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Actually I live in Tasmania and me mates call me Chopper!!

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

In that case 2020 - you'll easily recognise Poida because he looks like Eric Banna....(but still needs a 15-step ladder to get into his helicopter) :)

5. 2020

2020 Junior Member

dawn breaks on this discussion

Because of the afore mentioned stability problem, I don't think it is a good idea to extend the roof of the boat to overcome your disability.

It would be far better to deepen the hull and weigh it down with lead so your feet are in fact further down into the water. This is good because when you are in your boat you will look normal.

While the desire for normalcy left me long ago, (and have you ever met a decent sailor who was normal in any way?) Thankyou and yes, this is indeed the point. When handed the brief; Designers seem to just want to make things taller within an existing deisgn and from every sailing point of view we all know it just doesn't work.

The very entertaining and welcome humour displayed here aside, You are beginning to address the issue at hand.
    An intrinsic understanding of the counterpoints of height are neccessary to arrive at a seaworthy vessel with nice lines.
    Perhaps new ergonomic unit measures could be 'steps' - the length of a persons stride; 'Shoulders' - being the width / Turning circle a body occupies and 'Fixed Height' - being the minimum height required to affix ones hand to the roof for stability (same minimum length would apply to bunks) . Once these new measures are in place, proportions must surely be the same?

From what I am reading in this forum, It appears designers / experts here are in fact saying they can't do it. Is this defeatest or a lamentable display of professional mediocrity? I am yet to see how the task presents any contradiction to any laws of design or physics.

Again I ask, is anyone aware of any designer who might have skill / experience with these issues?

Thanks guys, bloody fun forum.

quote: "I too was short once - but I grew up".

6. 2020

2020 Junior Member

raw & waikikin

raw & waikikin just got your emails, thank you. I will respond PM, once I figure out the login thing.
    cheers

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

PERTH ??PERTH?? you live in Perth Poida? Next time you go the the railway station look across the street at the ole Abo lying on the floor outside the grog shop with a brown paper bag in his hand.--Give me a wave.

8. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

I've been designing land vehicles for tall people; the customers usually specify a maximum height of slightly above 2 m based on population statistics. We basically design 10% larger equipment if the maximum height is 2 m and not 1.80 m, with a penalty in weight and cost. This shouldn't be a problem for a naval architect either. Just scale everthing up 10%.
    The problem is to design a boat (or land vehicle) that simultaneously fits also short women. Head clearance isn't the only aspect. It might be possible to design a boat that suits everone from 1.55 m to 2.0 m, but it isn't easy. If you have a boat designed that suits you and your tall friends perfectly, you might be excluding some of your short women friends if you don't consider short people as well.
    In my opinion, part of the problem you are experiencing is that designer's try to fit too much into a given boat size. More space makes it easier to design something that suits a wider range of people.
    Erik

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Problem here Frosty we've got two grog shops with a multitute of persons fitting that description.

Poida

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Now why would Poida wave to a brown paper bag ?

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No theres only one grog shop across from the bridge, look I can see you know ----Hi Poida its me!

12. 2020

2020 Junior Member

the long AND short of it eh?

Thanks Erik, some practical experience is most appreciated. Are you aware of any common pitfalls in 'scaling up' that might apply here?
    In regards to accommodating the small and the tall, and at the risk of national stereotyping, the swedes do tend to be a taller mob than most but every swede I've ever met knows that small women can fit in large bunks.
    cheers

13. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

2020 - two questions...
    1. How many designers have you spoken to? I must say I'm surprised that none have been able to meet such a basic requirement.

2. Which boats did you go aboard at the Sydney Boat Show. I went aboard a number that had 7+ft headroom. Of course they weren't hampered by having those silly stick things up the middle that seem so intent on rolling you over all the time...;)

14. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Attached Files:

15. 2020

2020 Junior Member

how many designerds?

Gday fellow sydneysider
    1. only 3 so far, the initial selection was confined to those who had experience in designing the style of yacht we seek together with the proven capability to take their designs through to cutting file stage. Unfortunately, they all seem hell bent on modifying their existing plans (They're all really quite helpful) and try to explain why I don't really want a 1m side deck for example "650mm is really enough" they say. In an earlier post Erik mentioned overall proportions. None of the designers we have dealt with so far have grasped this in entirety.

2. RE: the sydney international fishing and tupperware party. They be the boats with granite galley tops sans fiddle rails, ungimballed flush range top, "U" shaped lounges and 5' 10" bunks? I was thinking of something that can actually go to sea, something that doesn't cost me $20,000 in fuel to arrive at the next suitable port and (aghast!!!) doesn't have a sub woofer speaker bolted over the holding tank switch valves (that was a princess)

3. The Marten Yachts did have a few interesting aspects.

thanks again guys

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.