wood pedal boat- idea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by molerocket, Jul 19, 2006.

1. molerocket

molerocket Junior Member

Hello, all. I'm new and came here because I have a hankerin' to design and build a ply/glass boat powered with foot pedals.

i.e. bicycle pedal that somehow drives a propeller.

the length would be 10-12 feet, something like that.

1. possible?
    2. crazy?
    3. would foot power even make it move?
    4. where might i find parts to rig up the pedal/gearing assembly?
    5. i know that many inboard engines have a propeller shaft that goes from the inside to the outside of the hull without the boat leaking. how can I do this with my propeller shaft (i.e. what is the secret, how does it work)?

thanks so much,
    molerocket

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

1 Yes
    2 No
    3 Yes
    4 Google HPV's, this site also has many threads on the subject.
    5 Depends on the type of craft you choose.
    Gary :D

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

First three: yes no yes, as per Duluth.
    4: Certainly look up some HPV stuff which this place is loaded with. Try bike shops. The lower unit of a dead 2hp outboard can serve as a bevel gear to get a longitudinal shaft from a lateral crank. Have a way of changing the gear ratio (ie bike sprokets), at least until you settle on one that works.
    5: The device you refer to is called a "stuffing box". It's just a tube around the shaft, that's bolted/sealed to the hull, and is filled with special water-resistant packing that seals the gap. It does add some friction to the system, so you might consider looking for sealed waterproof ball-bearings instead.

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Molerocket,

Take a long look at this device designed by my buddy, Bob Stuart... The SpinFin. There's a short bit about the unit here: http://microship.com/bobstuart/pix/drive unit.JPG

Bob has put these propeller drive units into several types of boats with very good results. I have driven one of his sea kayaks with the trunk mounted SpinFin in it and it hauls *** with little effort for a person in shape.

Bob can be reached at: bobstuart@ssisland.com He lives on Salt Spring Island off Vancouver, Canada. A great guy, very personable and seriously smart with all things engineering related for human driven boats.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.