Old Wood Baot Headliner Replacement?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by 48Sedan, May 17, 2005.

1. 48Sedan

48Sedan Junior Member

Old Wood Boat Headliner Replacement?

I have a 1948 Stephens Sedan, I guess you would call it the headliner. I have attached a pic, anyhow a few people have told me that these tiles have asbestos in them, is this true? If so I guess I will not be able to find them? What have some of you guys used to replace these tiles in your boats and have you found any similar replacements?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't think those are original to the boat, though this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. They look like those old cieling tiles, seen in everyone's den from the 50's - 70's. The unfair battens that run athwartship look to hide an edge, but it's not real clear in the photo. The battens seem a mite small for roof beams and appear unfair, is the coach roof out of shape? I can't imagine Stevens installing something that may trap moisture against the structure.They may have been owner installed to provide some insulation. In any case there's a strong likelihood they have materials in them you don't want to breath.

I don't know anyone that would have anything like them, though they do have a strong resemblance to the ceiling tiles, still available at Lowes/Depot, but they're made of fiber (paper) now a days. I would be hard pressed to install new ones that couldn't be sealed well from moisture and if possible, shimmed down from the underside of the coach roof for ventilation.

3. 48Sedan

48Sedan Junior Member

Par,
    I thought the same thing untill I looked at them real close, they fit perfect and seem to be in good shape for there age. I had still second guessed this untill I talked to my firends who have a 56 mathews and there boat also has them? Do you think there the same as the ones sold at lowes? Aslo what are some alternatives for replacing them? I was thinking cork might look nice?
    Thanks

4. PAR

I'm not sure if the pattern, hole size or tile dimensions are the same (wouldn't much matter if they all were replaced), but I'd be inclined to run down to the local Lowes/Depot and pick up a tile. They'll give you a hard time about buying just one, but if you look real pitiful and remind them you brought some doughnuts, they can be talked into it. Or you could buy a box, check out the tile then return the box as opened, but unused.

I still don't like the idea of a fiber tile being directly against the roof planking. The tiles at Lowes/Depot will be a different composition, then the ones installed 35 or more years ago. The new tiles, as I understand it, are a pressed paper fiber type of material. They likely have a fire retardant added and are quite fragile. I just removed a bunch of them last summer in a rental of mine, during a remodel. They stain easily, don't like moisture much and warp badly when they see it. They may be on some sort of grid to suspend them down from the roof planks, which would permit air circulation, but I'm guessing they glued them on with urethane or contact cement. Are they completely intact or can you see how they're attached? If they are physically in good condition, you may want to just paint them and hope there's no leaks under them.

5. 48Sedan

48Sedan Junior Member

Some of them have chunks out of them and stuff so they need to be replaced, I think I will explore my options first what else could I put up there?

6. PAR

I like to see the beams and planking, personally, but you could use a bead board or mill your own (that's what I do) from 2 by stock. If using a bead board like used on a ceiling, then it should be spaced down from the overhead a little for ventilation. I've seen them put on with Velcro, but I usually screw them down to the beams or furring strips set between the beams.

As for duplicating the look, I'm not sure, though I have a few friends I can talk to about it. If it was me, and I wanted to redo the look, I'd try to cast sections from foam then paint them white. They wouldn't rot, hold moisture, would offer insulating properties and I'd mount them shimmed down on Velcro so they could easily be removed.

There may be a tile available that can be used on a porch or something where they will experience some moisture.

7. ouessant

ouessant New Member

I know this is an old thread, but would love to hear an update from any of you on how this project turned out.

I just ripped out these old type of tiles from my 1957 Stephens Farallon Clipper. Many of them were soaking up moisture and harboring a lot of mold and mildew. I did take a sample for asbestos testing before removing them, and they did not contain asbestos, much to my delight!

I am now deciding what to replace them with, as I just have bare plywood exposed behind where they were. I would love to have a beadboard look, maybe painted white, or cedar. I will probably put a layer of insulation behind that.

I think that the tiles work OK from an insulation standpoint, but they can get really moisture logged, which I think is a huge downside.

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

those are known as "pith board" panels, used to sound deaden offices and class rooms. Not sure it is appropriate for damp environment, but they should still be available. It is made from the soft pulp materials from wood by-product, kind of like card board or egg carton material.

A closed cell foam might perform the same function without absorbing moisture, might put a fabric layer glued to the outside for appearance.

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

You might take a look at duct board as used in HVAC installations. Glue some fabric or veneer to the exposed surfaces to suit your taste.

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

A few years ago I contemplated replacing the old ceiling liner of my Carter 33. It was a white perforated foam-backed contact cement-on material much like what was found in some cars. It was available at that time from Hamilton Marine here in Maine. This was a fiberglass layup on the overhead, smooth but ugly, that needed covering. I wouldn't do this on a wooden boat but neither do I think it would be inappropriate either if it suited you.