Tahiti ketch

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Bernard Vignon, May 7, 2004.

1. Bernard Vignon

Bernard Vignon New Member

Iam happy owner of a Hanna's Tahiti ketch in South of France.
    I am looking for archive about this sailing boat.
    I am also looking for absorbtion machine (if exists) working with kardane fuel.

2. clyderigged

clyderigged New Member

Hello Bernard,

I also own a teak Tahiti Ketch named Torea. I am slowly filling in her history and also am interested in any information on them. It seems there are quite a few in France and the Med. Have you had any luck on finding an archive?
    With all the Tahiti ketches out there, I am surprised that there is not an association or a group of enthusiasts.

Cheers,
    Jamie White

3. egpeil

egpeil New Member

Bernard,

I am one of the grandsons of John G. Hanna and working on a website for him. His daughter, Helen Brown, still sells his plans and there is a book about him and his designs that is for sale. Helen does not participate in the internet but if you are interested you can contact her @ 805-685-6435 or 30 Winchester Canyon Rd, #83, Goleta, CA 93117. I hope to create the website in such a way that people like you can participate with other Hanna boat enthusiasts and publish links to personal sites, etc.

You will be able to find that site at either www.tahitiketch.com or www.johnghannaboats.com within the next 2 weeks.

Rgds, Eric Peil

4. CaptScot

CaptScot Junior Member

John Hanna

Hello Eric Piel,

Did you ever open a site to sell your grandfather's plans? Can his plans, like for Tahiti, still be bought through his sister in Calif? Please let me know. Thanks, Scott

5. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

There was a fiberglass Tahiti Ketch built in Carpenteria, Ca called the Dreadnaught, I almost bought one. I bought a Bristol Channel Cutter intead, thank god. I could lterally sail circles around a Tahiti ketch.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are a lot of boats influenced or out and out copies of the Tahiti Ketch. The type is well documented, try Google, as there are thousands of them world wide.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.