Tabbing bulkheads techniques

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gregbe, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gregbe

gregbe New Member

Hi, I'm searching for tips & tricks and techniques to make clean tabbing on hull/bulkheads. Do you know any technique to have all the visible tabbing clean and precise ? Im' concerned about having the edges really neat and homogenous
    I'm building a 30ft with majority of 2 x BX600gr tabbings and I want it very clean
    What i do now, is mark the bulkhead and hull with tabbing dimensions, install glass and peelply them. It's quite ok but I want to have the tab edges marked.

2. GG

GG offshore artie

4 OZ chesse cloth or some might call it finish fabric And when i bond boats or tab in bulk heads i use this to give a nice finished look. This practice is used at Skater and the reason being is to give a very clean look to the layup that is visible to the eye.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

It is veil. I use miles of it cut into 3" tape. Even if your edge is a bit distorted because you went around a bend, or whatever, you can make it look straight with veil tape.

4. cookie munster

cookie munster Junior Member

Just curious, but what will the bulkhead be made of and will you use foam padding or anything similar to spread the forces the bulkhead exerts to the hull?

5. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

6. grpqueen

grpqueen Junior Member

Also curious as to why you want them marked, as most want the edges to blend away.

7. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

Years ago i worked at Thames marine, builders of Snapdragon & Mirage yachts. Technique used there in a production environment was as follows.
    Prefinished Bulkhead once scribed to fit had a line scribed from hull & deck approx 3" in from all edges to be bonded, the surface veneers were then sanded away with a canvey plane (angle grinder with 40 grit sanding disc) this left a distinct rebate for the edge of the grp tabbing. A primer coat of polyester was normally used before the tabbing or else as the glass shrinks it would tend to pull away as it cured if this was not done. If done well the bonding was not much higher than the surface of bulkhead making fitting of trims easy.
    Out of interest we used to fit two discs back to back on the air grinders with no guard so the casing acted as a guide for edge of rebate. Of course i dont recomend any one follow suit!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.