42ft trimaran stern

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by nicktroy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. nicktroy

nicktroy New Member

Two years ago I got given an 80s 42ft racing trimaran with a big powerful rig. What I think has happened to it is that the rudder was smashed off and the main hull shortened to the point where the rudder was. There is now a dinghy style rudder attached to the new transom. The problem with the boat is that it doesn't go nearly as fast as it should - max 14 knots which is not fast for a tri of this size given that the main hull is only 4'6 wide and the beam is 32 ft. I think the problem is that the bottom of the new transom is 8 inches below the water line. My understanding is that the turbulance caused by this slows the boat a lot. Is this true? Would it be worth rebuilding the stern? Also, if I am to rebuild the stern what is the best rudder system to allow it to survive impact and to be withdrawn in shallow water?

2. Bruce Woods

Bruce Woods Senior Member

What design is it?. Can you post a picture?

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Yes, Yes, and make search here of rudders, lot of good stuff & links.
    :)

4. nicktroy

nicktroy New Member

I would love to include a picture but how do I do that?

5. nicktroy

nicktroy New Member

When you say a lot do you mean it should do an extra 5 knots - to 15 knots in 20 knots of wind on the beam?

6. multihullsailor

multihullsailor Junior Member

Press "Reply" or "Quote", then go to the "Additional Options" section underneath the comment area, press "Manage Attachment" and upload a picture from your computer. Don' forget to "Submit Reply" - looking forward to seeing your tri. Where do you keep her?

Roger

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I agree with Teddy - my little tri has that drag when I have too much weight aft. Move it foreward so the stern lifts to above the waterline and it's a new boat ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.