cockpit or pilothouse

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by EASI54, Aug 27, 2005.

1. EASI54

EASI54 Junior Member

Anyone that would like to comment on the advantages of keeping the cockpit or the disadvantages of it's removal in order to add space to the aft cabin is welcomed. the 50ft sloop has a enclosed pilothouse and I am contemplating on enlarging the lower cabin for a large queen size bed. The cocpit only has a remote throttle control and I'm trying to justify it's existance. I am a newbe to sailing and have yet to sail her as she is in drydock.
    Any comments pro or con will be welcomed.

Jean

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

This issue has been put forward earlier. It may depend on in what sort of waters you decide to sail.
    Is it the North Atlantic, or is it the more comfortable southern hemisphere?
    If you are in/on/ open sea, how much time do you spend below deck?
    Only in the harbour, you require (probably) a "queen" size bed - in open water, such a bed is a nuisance, You'll better be off with a doghouse, where you can find some refuge when the weather is bad, but still can see what's happening around you.

3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

In that case I would not go to the expense of such changes at this time. Get some experience with the existing configuration first. You may discover a lot about it that you can't even guess at now. Or even decide to change boats.

Kelly Cook

4. EASI54

EASI54 Junior Member

Thank you Kelly for your response. It appears that this would be the wise approach, to experience the configuration, and make changes to suit my needs. But it does seem such a waste of design, and truthfully would like to know it's usfulness other than stowing gear in it.

5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

A photo or two would help us see what you are dealing with :)

6. EASI54

EASI54 Junior Member

Here they are. What do you think Kelly?

Attached Files:

7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I think I'm very confused ;) . When I first read you opening post, I somehow got it all wrong. Thought it was the wheelhouse that you wanted to get rid of :eek: ! My bad, I need to read these things with more care.

Ok, now I see your point. That is a pretty sad "cockpit". Looks to me like it was partly intended for the crew handling the sheets for the sail. For serious sailing, makes sense that the sail crew would be out on deck rather than in the wheelhouse. As the sails could not be seen easily from inside the wheelhouse. The guy(s) in that cockpit would have the easiest view and be calling the shots. It is also possible that this was intended for an auxiliary steering station with wheel or tiller. But somewhere in time that wheel got lost.

That said, our sad little cockpit might not be the only solution. Options for rearranging this could include: Raise the floor of the cockpit so it is less deep and possibly raise some of the sailing hardware to match, or go to a completely flush deck aft of the traveler with everthing shifting to the shallow cockpit ahead of the traveller. For that last solution you might consider re-fitting the cockpit ahead of the traveller to be more comfortable for those on deck. For that seek expert help (which I am not).

I agree that fixing the cockpit would be worthwhile, and boy am I glad you posted that photo! :eek: :eek: :eek:

dyslexic Kelly

8. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Here is a photo of the flush cockpit on a motorsailor. Probably NOT a good plan to copy this in every detail, but it may at least give you some ideas.

[​IMG]

Kelly

9. EASI54

EASI54 Junior Member

Very beautiful. I can now only justify when you said I had a "sad cockpit".
    Thanks for the ideas!

Jean

10. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Have a look at this one!

Attached Files:

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Easi54, don't get disillusioned by your divided cockpits. Yours is clearly setup to separate the helmsman and crew (grinding winches) for offshore racing. The photo of the flush cockpit is about the worst idea I've seen in a cockpit in many years, though it looks nice from the stand point of those whom may never have had the need for a real "sea" cockpit. To grind those winches, you'd have to be on your knees and have nothing to brace against. Truly a poor setup, I'd hate to have to work those winches in 30+ knots of wind with the decks soaked and swept with breakers.

You have a classic old school cockpit. Actually two, one for the crew, the other for the helm.

The reason yours is small and doesn't have proper seating (your butt is on the deck) is to keep the foot wells small and quickly drainable, in the event of a boarding wave flooding them (common in deep water) There's not much worse then waiting for the cockpit to drain while trying to keep from broaching in a swamped cockpit boat, that's handling like a garbage scow during the process. Judging by the number and placement of your winches, you have a boat that was intended to perform, it's cockpit layout reflects this. The pilothouse may be an after thought, by a pervious owner, not as concerned about the performance qualities of his (your) yacht.

Do yourself a big favor and get some sea time in this boat (100 hours or more) before you pull out the chainsaw. Redesigning something you have little (no offence) understanding of, is generally not a good idea. As a rule, a pilothouse will detract substantially from the performance abilities of any sailing yacht and you want a cockpit where you can get at and see everything right away, which can't be done from inside a pilothouse. There are occasions when you'll wish you could be inside the pilothouse, but the conditions will require you to be outside, in the rain and breaking waves to handle the boat. No pilothouse can substitute for a cockpit.

12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Here is a photo of a boat with a rather elaborate after deck. The thing to note is that a cockpit can be created on top of a flush deck by adding the surrounding structure. Instead of digging a hole.
    [​IMG]

Kelly

13. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

HEY!!! I just found what I want for Christmas :D ...After I win a couple Powerballs :rolleyes: .

Steve

14. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Would make a real splash in Iowa, eh :)

15. EASI54

EASI54 Junior Member

That's one beautiful boat! How big is it?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.