Swifty 14

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by zippybean, Nov 22, 2010.

1. zippybean

zippybean Junior Member

2. zippybean

zippybean Junior Member

3. zippybean

zippybean Junior Member

I haven't had a post in awhile sorry. I had to repaint the boat the pettit paint I used didn't cure at all. I stripped it all off and used System three paint worked out much better. Here are some new pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More at my Blog.
    http://www.zippybean.com

4. zippybean

zippybean Junior Member

I got a few things done. I finished the wood inlay and all of the epoxy work and the last of the electronic .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.zippybean.com

5. Aargh B

Aargh B New Member

Your boat turned out wonderful. I'm very interested in the Swifty 14. May I ask you your opinion of your experience ordering a boat from Fred Shell? Other than epoxy, did you need anything else to complete the boat (not including the lights and motor), such as hardware, cleats, etc? How is the electric motor working out? Is it enough to push the boat? Many other kits I've seen use fiberglass on the hull, would you recommend glassing the hull?

6. zippybean

zippybean Junior Member

Aargh,
    Thank you for your comment. Fred was awesome to work with. I was missing a piece to one of my seats it may have been lost when it was packed up or lost in my garage but Fred just cut me out a new one and didn't charge me a cent. He answered my questions along the way and was very helpful. I put popup cleats on and needed some pulleys for some of my rigging but most everything came in the kit. No I would not glass the boat. The plywood is the perfect base to epoxy. You will need some fiber glass for the bow stem and the bottom seam of the boat but that's all. Motor worked great and moved the boat just fine but not fast. Beats rowing. Check out my website at www.zippybean.com I kept a complete blog of my boat. I hope you enjoy building a boat as much as I did. By the way stay away from that pettit paint it was a pain to strip off.

7. Aargh B

Aargh B New Member

Thanks for your reply. I've ordered a construction manual for a different boat I though I might try to build, but the Swifty 14, with its larger cockpit, is a better fit for my family. I won't be able to start a build project until June of 2012, so I'm doing all my homework now. Great blog by the way. Thanks again.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.