Photos of first, and probably last, boat build/design.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by river runner, Aug 6, 2011.

1. river runner

river runner baker

I think I've figured out how to attach a photo to this, so here are a couple photos of the drift boat/river dory that I've designed and am building. In respose to some questioning my reasoning for parting from more traditional design, I would say that I don't think there is much point in going to all the trouble of designing and building a boat that is no different from what I could buy and if no one was willing to break out in a new direction, progress would move very slowly.
    Here goes nothing

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm a desert rat, which means I hardly qualify as an expert on drift boats. But as I understand it, one objective of their design is to to provide a stable fishing platform that will also survive white water, rather than just being designed to get through the rough stuff.

Do you think you've traded off any noticeable amount of that stability, with your multi-chine design?

Regardless of your answer, I'd love to see more pictures -- and even a lines drawing, if you ever made one. Not to mention a little more on your construction methods and details....

3. river runner

river runner baker

trade offs

It is all just theory till it gets in the water. If my understanding of boat design is correct (of course I think it is) then it should be worse for fishing and better for whitewater. A sigle chine flat bottom boat has great primary stability, but poor secondary stability, except if the sides are extremely flared. Primary stability is great for calm water, but it is secondary stability you want in whitewater or big seas. My design should have better secondary stability and row faster. Flat bottoms also slap their way through waves rather than cut through. Mine should slap a little less. I do most of my boating in Utah and western Colorado.
    I designed the boat using Prochine and sent those files to a guy in Washington state to cut the parts out of Okoume plywood. I used stitch and glue construction. The boat has cost me twice as much and taken twice as long to build as it should have because I keep changing my mind on construction. I could have bought two drift boats for what I have in this one.

Attached Files:

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

While the stability curve shows an advantage to much flare, or flam if you prefer, A plumb sided boat can heel farther than a flared boat before the rail down condition. Curious eh?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.