Swain BS_36 Stability curve

Discussion in 'Stability' started by junk2lee, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Don't you dare to quote Marchaj, you can't even spell his name right.:mad:

You know, I'm very much an enthusiast for moderate beam, wheelhouses, heavy displacement meaning low Cg and long keel. They have their shortcomings but as a whole such boat has it's benefits. BS boat in the other hand, have only two first ones, added smth resembling a bit fin keel and little hope that it won't fall of someday..

2. junk2lee

junk2lee Junior Member

I'm guessing you've never heard a Beaver take off.
    I'll take the
    So-called welfare bums and rotting hulks anytime.(so evident in Tods photo!)They are quiet and less polluting than a thundering 6071 diesel pushing their seagoing winnebago place to place ,pumping their chemicalized holding tank out at Thrasher Rock in one nasty dose....
    But we digress.

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

nothing sounds as macho as a big radial at full throttle

i used to work on helicopters with 2 R2800s

once a crop duster flew over my farm with it's radial full on and my ducks ran over and stood real close to me chattering away

4. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

You somehow forgot about the angle of the mast. It makes a huge difference.

What is the torque attributed to mast buoyancy at an angle of 180 deg from vertical up?

What is the torque attributed to mast buoyancy at an angle of 90 deg from vertical up?

You don't know, do you?

PDW

5. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

I can't believe the way this thread is deteriorating. Yeah, the plane is loud. If I recall, correctly, there were two of them. Not easy to have a conversation when they're taking off, or warming up!

Brent, People get value for their dollar in Tad's office, much more than you can offer. But, stick to the topic at hand, show us the calculations you've done. Or, can you?

6. Hi Test

Hi Test New Member

That photo is several years old. The bay is now crowded with with rotting boats burning garbage day and night. I'll post some photos that I took last time I was there.... but this is not the place.
    Anyway, I'd take the three or four beaver take offs any day over their smoke and sewage.

7. Jack Hickson

Jack Hickson New Member

Living on a boat reduces ones personal environmental foot print to a fraction that of land dwellers. Their fuel consumption is a tiny fraction that of a float plane.

8. Jack Hickson

Jack Hickson New Member

True, depending on the angle. If it is a shallow angle, the impact is minimized. The steeper the angle ,the greater the impact until at 90 degrees the impact is maximum
    On the stem of a boat the angle is least at the waterline. The greater the free board of the bow at the point of impact the greater the impact. Three feet above the waterline, the angle is much closer to 90 degrees, maximizing the impact.
    Put the rail near vertically at the front of your car and see how she fares.
    In the photos Junklee posted, the surf is anything but small, and the distance to deep water is anything but short. .

9. Jack Hickson

Jack Hickson New Member

The single keel on a BS 36 is attached to the hull by 24 feet of 3/16th plate, a 4ft wide web of 3/16t plate , another 4 ft baffle of 3/16th plate, and the 1/2 inch plate aft gusset , taking the load to the skeg ,which is attached to the hull by 8 ft of 3/16th plate all at 60,000 psi tensile strength, That's several million pounds of total tensile strength, holding a keel of 5700 lbs. It didn't fall off in 16 days in 8 to 12 foot surf, and has less chance of falling off than your odds of being hit by an asteroid.
    12 feet of hull attachment on a 36 is not exactly short.
    One of the big drawbacks of a full length keel on a steel hull, is the totally inaccessible aft end of it, under an engine, and impossible to get at for maintenance. It also adds around 300 lbs in the aft end of the boat, where you least need it.
    What makes your Saugeen Witch, with far less draft, and far less freeboard, more stable than a BS 36?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

a freind of mine just HAND BUILT from scratch a 7 cyl side valve radial, machine the master crank the whole thing on a hand mill, his trade/ plumber, later when he videos the run on the test bed I will post a thread. he had cooling probs cyl heads so he lengthened every fin, TIG with bronze backing bar

11. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Well from a forensic engineering perspective the damage proves the impact. That's simple hard cold fact.

The barge impact that resulted in no damage had to have ridden up the stem, we went over this before, (someone even suggested you prove your theory by ramming a concrete dock ) When a reliable witness finally stepped forward the tale was shown to be hype. The boat slid up on its stem over the edge of a mostly submerged barge. That's not how you represented the story with the T-bone tale. even now you are trying to re-invent the story becasue you have compromised yourself too often with it.

As for the (confused) reference to another marketing tale; photo's posted of a boat high and dry on a sandy beach that's another tale of the same reliability. One thing I'm sure about is that It didn't pound in 12 to 16 foot surf for 16 days, it's just beyond belief and simply BS.

What really happened? I'd suggest that the boat grounds and gets washed ashore in one event over a matter of an hour maybe being carried higher by another tide or two. After that it sits there, the water laps around it each high tide but by and large it's safe, the waves have spent their energy long before they get to the boat. In fact it's rarer for a smaller boat to be damaged of any construction if they beach on their side decks shorewards as a keelboat tends to do since the keel drags and the waves always align the vessel beam on.

1 person likes this.
  12. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You mind posting the calcs :p ROFLMAO :p
    We have allready seen how poorly it's put together, no comment to that is needed, well, maybe a tear or two..

13. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Now I am mystified by Jack BS's statement:confused: I went through this complete thread and cannot find a trace of these photos...
    However, the only pic of a stranded boat (deep water distant) is one I posted in post #280 and this is NOT a BS tin can.

If you refer to this picture to make you and your boat look good Jack BS, it is a typical example of your tactics to mislead people and to distort the truth. A fox may changes color but never its tricks.

If you can produce the number of the post where Junklee posted the pics BS Jack, I will stand to be corrected. If not, do not BS - as in ******** - people with others pictures and claim fame to it..:mad:

14. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

teddy and Wynard
    and et al , why on earth are you humouring this man
    it has been going on for years
    Do you not have something better to do guys?
    Crikey, before I started alu boats I built in steel and I would not even bother to answer this drivel from BS
    his boats are , well, well um I,m stuck for words, well maybe nothing.
    on the t,other hand he has a passion, so that is all good
    be kind to him, and go get on with your lives please
    Teddy have a beer mate(remember faces to names)

1 person likes this.

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

So, how are you going with those torque calculations for the mast buoyancy at 180 deg to vertical up and 90 deg to vertical up, Brent?

Why do I suspect that you're trying to avoid answering the question?

As for my Witch, I've made no claims anywhere about its stability at all let alone in comparison with a BS 36. When it's in the water I'll have an accurate final weight from the crane hook and will work with Mike to do an inclining test, you know, that thing that you assiduously avoid having done with a BS 36.

You're trying to change the subject again.

PDW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.