making a High-Thrust outboard

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by luff tension, Apr 21, 2013.

1. luff tension

luff tension Junior Member

I have been looking at a high thrust auxiluary outboard for my catamaran (centre-pod mounted) and the classic 4 stroke 9.9 Yamaha High thrust while a great motor is a bit short on horsepower, Yamaha also produce a 4 stroke 25hp high thrust model but these are way expensive and heavy.
    I was wondering if I could get a 20hp 4 stroke and mate it up with the 2.42:1 gearbox from a 9.9, what could be the possible downsides...
    - they are strong but would the extra hp be too much for the gearbox
    - is there enough space for a enough blade area
    what do the experts think of this one...

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Yamaha also produce a 4 stroke 25hp high thrust model but these are way expensive and heavy.

Find a used version of what you need.

3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I agree, the yamaha 25 is a huge engine.

You may find a kicker style outboard suits, or check out fitting a 4 blade prop instead Honda do that on their smaller outboards to increase thrust. Or do as fast Fred suggests, I recall some high thrust outboards in the 15-25 sizes or maybe an older Yamaha 25? We had a 2003 model on our previous powercat that was much smaller than the newer version

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.