1999 Honda 90hp outboard mount/tilt problem

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by mdgrimes, Oct 6, 2011.

1. mdgrimes

mdgrimes New Member

I purchased this boat and motor used several months ago. Lately, I have noticed that, when lowering the motor, the tilt appears to struggle just as the guide on each side of the motor's shaft enters the mount on the stern of the hull. It also struggles at the same spot when I raise the engine. Upon inspection, the guide appears to be binding on the inside of mount's left side (it appears to have sufficient clearance on the right side of the mount). For some reason, the motor appears to slightly off center on the transom mounted portion of the motor.

Any idea as to how to correct this problem? I have thought about trying to prying the two apart slightly. I have also thought about grinding down the metal on the inside of the left side of the transom mount a bit to get sufficient clearance. Is there some sort of adjustment that might fix the problem?

Thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.