Hours on the web and still no answer

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by steveroo, Apr 18, 2009.

1. steveroo

steveroo Junior Member

Sorry Folks, as I'm sure this has been answered in a previous thread. I have a 36'Monk that is working well and I have installed a stand, and a bracket for my 8 HP Yamaha outboard basically because IF my Perkins ever fails me it's easier to putt into shore with a kicker than to try and row or paddle. The 8 worked fine 3 years ago and I have pulled until I bleed. The plugs are new, the fuel/oil is good, and I'm getting fuel to the diaphragm filter.. I think i have jelled gas in the carb bowl BUT I can't seem to find "OLD" info regarding the model and serial numbers, I believe it's a 1975. The #s are as follows MOD:E8RLCRN, SER:EO333185, can anyone tell me what these mean...and since I have your ear...how about the same info for a 50hp Evinrude MOD:50573B (which I believes denotes a 1975 model) and SER:E0009559, I have spent MANY hours trying to find this info, and in exasperation I am now turning to the expertise of the many sharp folks here on my favorite website. Thanx in advance

2. hmattos

hmattos Senior Member

Hi,
    Have a look at the helpful information on :
    http://www.warnersdock.com/Modelyearlookup.htm.
    The Yam looks like you will need more data, and the Evinrude is 1975.

To start the Yam, it sounds like yopu need a good carb strip and clean, and then BRAND NEW petrol oil mix. Remember that modern unleaded petrols lose there octane ratings after only a few weeks.
    Hope this helps
    Hugh Mattos
    www.explorermarine.co.uk

3. steveroo

steveroo Junior Member

hours ad nauseum

Thanx Hugh... I did manage to find that information per the Evinrude, and yes, it's a '75, however, all those other letters and numbers should relate to a shop mechanic being able to know more about the motor as well as exactly what parts are designated for that particular motor. Annnd I have the current Yamaha data, but nothing going prior to 1984...which strikes me as plain silly...I can't imagine that somewhere out in cyberworld there isn't a copy or information from an owner that has more knowledge...But,,it is older, it's just that in those years things were better built to last. The idea of planned obsolescence hadn't occurred to the Moguls, and It has been nearly impossible to find information about the little engine that could ( If I could only figure it out!!)

4. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

You will have better luck finding an old parts manual for sale on line. '75 was way before manuals were made to be viewed on line. Cost money and time to convert all those pages to PDF and post, not something a company is going to spend when there are only a few motors still being used.

5. pfridays

pfridays Suzywiz

The model number and serial number for your 8hp "Yamaha" are Evinrude numbers. Take the next to last 2 letters of E8RLCRN i.e. CR and you have a 1984 8hp. They do it like this...INTRODUCES
    1234567890 The C is 8 , The R is 4 hence 1984..Do you just wish you had a Yamaha? Anyway you don't need that to clean out the carb regardless of brand..

6. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

if I leave my yammy for a year I always have to clean the carb
    dont be afraid of that
    take the machine to your clean kitchen table and remove the carb
    strip it,
    , blow compressed air through all of the orices, and assemble,
    try the compression with your thumb over the plughole
    clean fuel and one tug and its away:))
    as long as there is a spark

7. pfridays

pfridays Suzywiz

To go off on a tangent..Steveroo said he couldn't find Yamaha info prior to 1984..that is because Yamaha outboards didn't come to this country until 1984. Any Yammy before that was small and called a Mariner !!!!

8. steveroo

steveroo Junior Member

Well My face is beet red !!! I almost didn't want to post this because I feel like such a complete *** My little kicker motor IS an Evinrude...I have been totally blind to this but my mechanic called me and asked why I wanted a shop manual for a yammy when my motor was an evinrude...and then it hit me.I guess when age advances to the point of thinking that because ya have a Yamaha motorcycle, and a Yamaha guitar, then everything else must be too. My most humble apologies.

9. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

You don't need a shop manual for an Evinrude/Johnson. They are just too simple.
    REMEMBER THIS: Take the fuel hose off and run it out of gas when you are going to stop using it for awhile. If you leave gas in that carb, you'll be going through what your going through now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.