The fairing game..

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by capaworks, Dec 2, 2006.

1. capaworks

capaworks Junior Member

We live in the North East and keep the shop at about 60 degrees. Too expensive to cook it up any more than that. Epoxy takes least 10-12 hours with the fast hardener in the 60 degrees. I'm using Jeffco epoxy with fast hardener.

Anyone using a quicker set epoxy for fairing in colder climates or have another thought on this problem??

Alternatively I may build a 5' x 10' x 1.5" heat box out of styrafoam to fit over the laminating table using flood lamps and a crculating fan to get the temp up inside the box.

Thanks,

CW

2. jonsailor

jonsailor Boat designer/builder

polystyrene foam will make a cheap effective oven.
    We cure our 12m yachts up to 80C in one very well.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

60 to a Yank... that's what, 15.5 C in everyone else's terms? Not much lower than they keep our shop.... having good luck with Adtech EL-336 on the current mould layup, curing at ambient temperature, but I doubt for a boat you'd need the high-temperature properties of that resin. Take a look at Adtech Marine resins though, they're a bit pricey but definitely among the best. http://www.adtechplastics.com/c-9-marine-systems.aspx

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.