Survival story

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by SeaSpark, Aug 16, 2006.

1. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Mexican fisherman survival story

Found this on Woodenboat today:

Fishermen Are Rescued After NINE Months!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

it would appear that there were two others on the boat who died and were immediately thrown overboard! Lightens the load I guess but it don't do much for moral, there again niether does keeping the bodies onboard! Looks like the survivors are three 'lucky' guys! mind you they now have to live with what happened. appears the other two refused to eat raw fish and died (of starvation, presumably but the nws report wouldn't say and this is the report of one survivor only) Dare I say something fishy going on (no pun intended honest - good luck to them after that experience)

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

In my opinion they have demonstrated a mastering of the skill and will of surviving....

Taken here and there:

One of them was 61 years old, and the other two 27. They barely knew each other previously to this odissey.

They were in a boat 8,23 m long, probably open, with two petrol engines (most probably outboards). They were fishing sharks (probably illegally) when they ran out of fuel searching for a lost drifting long-line.

They were able to more or less locate themselves by the passing planes and a compass. They counted time with a wristwatch and engraved crosses and bars.

The boat almost sunk twice. They bailed out water manually.

They saw several ships but apparently no one saw them. When the Koo's 102 rescue them, they were sleeping.

It is not still clear the duration of the drifting. Families talk about three months, not nine.

The death of the other two fishermen is not yet clear to me.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.