surveyor

Discussion in 'Education' started by PAUL XAVIER, Apr 19, 2014.

1. PAUL XAVIER

PAUL XAVIER Junior Member

I have completed my naval architecture and offshore engineering degree.
    Is there any courses to become a marine surveyor? If there which all universities offer the course? I would be grateful to all the replies. :) TY

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

There are courses. A search of this forum should bring up a few. The easiest route to take would be to look for a job at a company that does surveys. Surveys are really more about experience than book knowledge. You'll learn a lot more just from doing and from watching an experienced surveyor work.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

If you already have a degree on NA and if you wish to become a surveyor there is no "course" as such. You have all the required technical knowledge, all you need is the practical experience of understanding how ships/boats are designed and made and built and operated. This knowledge and experience can be obtained by working for any Classification Society.

It is not a university course you need, but a job related to your goals. Thus apply to any Classification society to fulfil your objective.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing ad hoc. Several people I went through school with get jobs with ABS. Most were involved in plan review, but at least one became a surveyor. The class society's seem to always be hiring. Most also have special hiring/training schemes just for graduates.

5. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

Most surveyors used to learn on the job, but since ships and boats and the regulations governing their design, construction, and operation have gotten more complex, classroom training for surveying has developed recently. ABS maintains training academies at six locations around the world for surveyors, shipbuilders, and operators:

http://www.eagle.org/eagleExternalP...eLabel=abs_eagle_portal_abs_academy_home_page

I don't know about other classification societies, but I suspect if they don't offer similar training now, they will eventually.

6. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Paul- A Marine Surveyor is not a degree, it is a job title. At most, it is a certificate given when you have indergone a special course.

Since you already have a degree in Naval Architecture, there is not much they can teach you except how to write a report and the procedures in marine surveying. Kind of cut and dried.

Your degree could qualify you if you apply as Class Surveyor in any Classification Society (perhaps with a little training and orientation) or as a State Surveyor (one who works in the government enforcing the statutory rules). Both jobs are generally a 8-5 working hours as visits are scheduled.

To work in companies that especializes in surveying only, you will need to be trained a little, gradually moving up to more complex types of survey. Here they have especialized surveys such as Valuation Surveys, P $ I surveys, Cargo Loading Surveys, and other types. You will be on call 24/7 and the hours can be long. It can also be dirty as some some surveys will require you to crawl into every nook and crannies, every holds and bilges, practically all the innards of the ship. Ex ship Masters qualifies as Marine surveyors because of their experience. They are very good in Cargo Loading, Bunkering, P & I, and Damage Assesment Surveys.

It has its it advantages as you will see more ships of varying design and construction than you would ever see if you are working in a shipyard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.