Surtees Centre Pod Cat

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by redreuben, Oct 26, 2011.

1. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Indeed Doug I see updated photo's but none clearly showing any sailing form or deck shots etc.. No doubt the Auz Multihull World magazine will have the scoop first.
    Looks good so far..

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bat Cat

An e-mail from Len---

Hi Doug
    Sorry about the delay in updating latest launch. After a hectic time building the mast hardware/boom then completing the rudders and center board and folding deck panels in a couple of weeks finally launched late on the 10th november (with the help of Paul, capt'n Ron and Gary (ex trailer tri owner) see there photo on my web site on the 9m folding cat page) all went well but then the outboard motor failed so trailered the cat back out of the water and left in the car park till following day.
    Motor fixed tthen relaunched but only had time to raise the jib due to time restraints, have moored safely then dash to catch a plane to work interstate for a engineering company for one month, will then complete vigorous sea trials, will keep u posted Doug. and yes the boat turns easily with the center board down !!

best regards
    len surtees.

Check his website in post #1
    click on image:

Attached Files:

3. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Hey Doug
    Had a discussion with an Auz contact yesterday (NZ yesterday 2/12/2011) He had just returned from Holiday and taking in a look at the Surtees.
    He was impressed with the boat and Len and what Len had achieved within the compromise circle that is boat design.
    He commented that there was nothing of sorts in hulls and everything had to fit in the pod but again commented Len had done a great job of this JFWIW Len will fill everyone in when he is back for sure, all up a promising design and for the armchair know everything do nothing knockers of this site, Len is a rare designer putting his money and time where his mouth is all without promising the World from fancy 3D graphics, something not often undertaken in this instant must have now world we live in...
    It is his solution to a design problem, Congratulations Len...

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bat Cat

e-mail from Len:

Hi Doug
    Am sending this from a remote mining town in western australia, just want to touch on a couple of points,

There seems to be some concern regarding stability on my new 9m folding cat on its trailer, although nearly 3 mtrs high the 2 hulls are much lighter then the center pod by over a third and combined with the trailer weight and the maximum legal width of the wheels, provides a stable and minimal wind resistance set up but like all things there are limits such as very strong storms and cyclones etc where common sense would prevail by securing and or finding shelter.

The beams have a shear load rating each of 34 tons and they pivot on 1" stainless pins combined with the ss lock down bolts have a healthy safety margin, this cat is designed to be very robust in all its design functions.
    best regards
    len surtees

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bat Cat Sailing

Len sent this and promised more:

click on image--

Attached Files:

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Regarding the fears expressed in this thread, I can only say this.
    I had a Piver Nugget Trimaran. The floats folded up onto the cabin top, making the towable assembly look very top heavy. During the four years I owned this boat we did considerable trailering with it.
    Maybe it was because of the light weight of the floats, but we never had an anxious moment when trailering it.
    During the vicious Canadian winter, up around Lake Simcoe, the boat was stored on cradles with the floats up. Sitting in the low cradles the keel was almost touching the ground. A winter gale blew the boat over. The ends of the crossarms where the pivot hinges were, hit the ground. Since the floats were lashed together they didn't move, and amazingly there was no damage except for a bent hinge pin. In the spring we simply righted the boat, changed the hinge, launched the boat and went sailing. :D

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Bat Cat

Another e-mail from Len:
    "Zeavard my new 9m folding cat is about to have the ultimate sea trial. I plan to sail Zeavard solo non stop around australia 3rd week in september.
    This will be a real test of how strong this trailer cat is in the face of very stormy seas in the southern ocean as i have to sail south of Tasmainia ( a large island south of australia).
    I expect this circumnavigation to take approx 50 days so have to carry water/food etc for this duration, it will also be demanding on my physical and mental ability.
    Have posted some new sailing pics on my web sight and an official announcement of my "solo non stop around australia"

http://www.surteesmultihulls.com/9m-folding-catamaran

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.