Sliding Hatch Coaming Design

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by motorbike, Jul 15, 2015.

1. motorbike

motorbike Senior Member

I've got a companionway hatch that needs redesign, the design has two runners with external rebates for the brass strip on the hatch to slide in, the hatch has an aft transverse coaming which limits forward movement and has a hasp on it for locking on the washboards when pulled shut. It has a forward transverse coaming which limits aft movement and when pulled shut butts up against the matching transverse coaming which runs between the two runners on the cabin top.

That cabintop coaming is removable from inside the boat to allow the hatch to be fully removed by sliding it aft, but it leaks as the design is inherently faulty. Its impossible to seal the joints and have them removable as well, I want to glue that coaming in place but doing so would mean making the either one of the coamings on the hatch removable. Dont want to put screws though the top of the hatch, which seem very amateurish, whats a good way to do this job as I am sure it has been solved many times?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Could you post some photos?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.