Oil spill really cleaned up?????

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Paul No Boat, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Paul No Boat

Paul No Boat Junior Member

The news is telling us the oil spill is disappearing fast. But with all the politics and buck passing on the incident we just don't know what to believe.
    As a midwesterner I cannot see it for myself and I figure this site is as reliable a source as any. How does it look to our boaters in the gulf?

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Self cleaning oil spill.

If you believe that, you should.

-Tom

3. Paul No Boat

Tom,

I believe the spill will eventually clean itself up but how fast and at what cost.
    some of the newswires are already making it sound like it never happened.

By the way, I will be across the strait from you in September at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. I'll be the guy in the Pirate hat. LOL

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Wave bye bye to the little corals.

5. larry larisky

larry larisky Previous Member

He took twenty years in france, and if I remember well the same time in alaska.
    in nigeria they still polluted after leaks started in 1960 and never taking care off.
    how come its so fast now?
    perhaps the products used are of better quality. i don't know.

6. Paul No Boat

Or maybe a more cooperative media. Hmmm???

7. hoytedow

I agree.

8. Paul No Boat

Ok several weeks ago we were told the pressure of the newly capped well was lower than expected indicating that the well might be exhausting itself. Then we are given a miraculous self cleaning scenerio and this morning's news says BP wants to drill the same reservoir again. What's wrong with this picture?

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Unlike Alaska, the Gulf region is well-stocked with oil-eating bacteria--not only because of natural seepage, but from the cumulative result of earlier, smaller spills. The climate is also warmer, which helps the process.

So it's reasonable that a majority of the oil will disappear faster there than it dead after the Exxon spill. But it does seem to me the media is a little too quick to say the oil is gone, when there's obviously a lot of it still around.

But you can account for that with the ignorance of journalism majors, combined with the search for a new angle on a hammered-to-death story; it hardly means the media is more 'cooperative.' Who exactly are they supposed to be cooperating with?

10. Paul No Boat

I get your point, Troy. The two incidents happened in two completely different environments. Please remember I started this thread asking not telling and I'd like to hear the input of people on the scene rather than in a newsroom, live from New York.

We in the midwest simply don't know. I have never lived with the effects of an oilspill but I did live through the ailwive infestation and dieoff in the great lakes so I do know what it's like to have a shoreline you cannot come within a half a mile of without a gasmask. LOL

I agree this has been a golden opportunitee for the journalists as is most national news. Sadly journalism is a tool of politics and business rather than stating the facts. It's "Tell them what they want to hear" news reporting.

Who am I suggesting is the media in cooperation with? Whomever is paying their saleries. We are much more likely to see the news brought to us by BP/Amaco than by the Sierra Club and it's not in the best interest of an editor to do a disclosure against his benefactor. And this is certainly not exclusive to the oil industry. It just seems to be happening so fast with little attention to learning from the mistakes.

11. hoytedow

Don't trust the Sierra Club either.

12. Paul No Boat

I hear ya on that too, Hoyt. The National Arborday Foundation wants to give me a free gift worth 5 dollars for my 10 dollar donation. hmmm??

13. hoytedow

Take your $10 and plant your own tree and they don't get the shade. You do. Have you ever seen any trees actually planted by any of these groups, before, during or after?

14. Paul No Boat

Well, Hoyt in fairness to them. Someone made a donation in my honor once and I was sent a packet of Rose of Sharon Shoots. And they have all done very well. I have a beautiful hedge growing against my garage now. But to answer your question, No I have not seen anyone from that group do any reforestation projects. I did however do some volunteer work at the Morton Arboretum in Illinois. It was the estate of Joy Morton 1855-1934. He was America's first secretary of agriculture, Founder of Morton Salt and the Founder of the National Arbor Day Foundation. A time when Industry and Politics had integrety.

So maybe that was a bad example to use. But my point is that internal politics and opportunism abound on both sides. And the side with the most money usually wins.

History is written by the winners. LOL

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I don't think the news is brought to us by BP/Amoco; it's rather an odd thing to say. Can you give some examples of how mainstream news outlets have been slanting stories or broadcasts in favor of British Petroleum?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.