Surfboat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Dreamymango, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Dreamymango

Dreamymango New Member

So I have some surfboard from when I lived in FL and my dad has an old shakespeare wondertroll 606 motor that we just haven't used in probably more than a decade. Trying to attach said motor to a board and have a hand control so I can surf the flat waters of Lake Michigan. So these are my questions/concerns for right now if anyone can give me a little advice.

1. Is this motor worth just selling or saving? I heard they didn't sell well in US and you can't get original parts for them anymore. It's honestly in flawless condition. I'd hate to cut it up if it was.

2. Even more importantly, can a trolling motor push a 150lbs man on a fiberglass 5'9" surfboard from in the water to on top and hit a decent speed of like 10-15 miles/knots? The other option is a like styrofoam like material with a smooth bottom 8' long board.

3. Is it possible to change props on these motors or is it just kind of a set design. If it turns out to get up super easy and go slow I'd love to squeeze the more top end out of it. Like I said I have a goal of like 10-15 mph so I can cruise.

I definitely am planning on reading up on these things as well but would like to get as much input as possible. I don't wanna over complicate this project which I probably already am but would definitely like to get a board that compares to skating/surfing on the water.
    Thanks!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You'll need a different propeller for those speeds. Trolling motors, like their name indicates, are designed for very low speeds. Do you want to use the motor to give you enough of a start to catch a wave?

3. Dreamymango

Dreamymango New Member

No. Basically something like this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz63KuMRXgU
    Which I know isn't acheiveable with a trolling motor on a surdboard but towards that direction is all I want. Something I can stand up on and just puttz around away from everything.

Would it be worth selling this and buying a waterproof motor?
    I was gonna wire my own hand controls anyway and then it's just figuring out the battery or possibly looking at gas engines but I feel like that could get too complicated.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You will never get the energy density of gas with batteries. The weight for the equivalent power will make it unfeasible. Try to find an old jetski engine. Maybe one of the Kawasaki 440s.

5. waterbear

waterbear Senior Member

Your project is so simple you should just try it. Don't worry about the motor, a vintage trolling motor is near worthless even in perfect condition.

1. Go down to Walmart and get your self a 12V deep cycle marine battery and some cargo straps.

2. Take the battery and strap it to the deck of the surfboard using a cargo strap. Use a rubber mat under the battery to keep it from sliding around.

3. Take a 2x4 and strap it to the rear of the board. The strap should loop around both ends of the 2x4 and cross under the board.

4. Mount your Shakespeare motor on the 2x4, hanging off to one side. You can shift the weight of the battery to balance the off center load of the trolling motor.

5. Zip tie a plastic bag over the motor head to waterproof the motor. Make sure the tie is tight around the motor shaft, and use some foam tape to fill in the air gaps.

6. Connect motor to battery.

7. For safety, use a momentary switch between the battery and the outboard so the motor will cut out if you fall off. This will prevent the outboard from turning you into hamburger. You can also use your foot to operate the switch ("throttle") while standing on the board.

8. Take a video of the maiden voyage and post it here.

Doing a simple test like this will tell you whether riding a surfboard with a trolling motor is any fun or not, before you waste a lot of time and money. If you like it you can spend some time refining the design. You're not going to be flying around like laird hamilton, but you can have some fun with minimal effort. You might even burn a paddle boarder or two.

6. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

Electric will work, but you will need a higher pitch prop, and you will have to limit your range, and settle for a speed of 10 knots or so. Longer board for efficiency.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.