SurfaSolve

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by HunterJ, Jun 19, 2008.

1. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Why not ask for a sample?

I have used (and sold) many replacements for acetone, but for now, nothing works like acetone, and is safer to use. Always drawbacks of need for heat, need for drying the tool, and not being able to completely clean the gun (residue stays behind, clogging up over a period of time)

Perhaps this stuff works... I have not used this one, so cannot judge.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

isnt that when a dude figures out how to stand on one of those boards, and uses it like a cheap sea-doo? hehe ;)
    i read 1 of those sites thingy's,,,,it doesnt sound like it is very good,,everything it says is its biggest qualities,,,,,are what makes acetone so effective.,,and since theres only 2 sites about the stuff,,,,do you want your gun to be the playground,,and used as an example to all of us why not to use the stuff?...i mean it may be the best stuff on earth,,,,but it seems if it was that good,,,everyone would know about it,,and carring the stuff on the shelves.
    oh,,,, and welcome to the forum ;)

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Oh well, about the gun: Even when using acetone, gelcoat guns usually clog after a period of time. Especially when not used regularly. Nothing new there... Disassembling them from time to time, and cleaning all parts with acetone or methylene chloride is considered "good practice".

5. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

I think I will get a sample and check with them...Maybe shoot them an e-mail...

I will let you guys know if i find anything out...Thanks guys!

1 person likes this.
  6. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

So I talked to a Sales Rep from the C.W. Hayden company.. They are based out of Maine. I guess they are a distributor of 3M products along with other brands and they deal with a lot of the marine industry in the state.

I asked him about the product and he said its a newer product that has been advertised much. They have a lot of customer who are switching over and they surfasolve is working great for them. They sell a pop-wipe which they there customer use to clean hands a various other things. They use the surfasolve tool cleaner to cleaner off a lot of there tool that they use in the fiberglass shop.

He through out a few names of customers Northend, Sabre yachts, Lyman Morse..Dont know if any of those ring any bells to you or not, they don’t to me.

I asked about if it required heat. He said no. Some of there customers use heat belts to hurry the process along. But it works just as good as acetone at room temperature but get this...The stuff is reusable.

He sent me to this page

http://www.cwhayden.com/Default.asp...omer/cwhayd/customerpages/SurfaSolve/home.htm

It has data pages at the bottom that explain the product pretty good.

He said he would send me a small sample of the tool cleaner so once I get it I will try it and i will let you know...

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i get most of my stuff through them,,,they usually play it safe,,and if they had ANY problems known,,they would tell ya.,,but he did cover his @ss, by not saying how good it was,,and just telling you their experience with it,,,so far,,hehe ;)
    like i said,,i'd not worry bout any "short time" use,,,next year if theres any long time use problems,, you'd hear bout it.

8. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

You normal get your stuff through C.W. Hayden? If so are they reliable, do they ship stuff out quickly?

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i get alot of my stuff through them,,yes they ship fast,,,but ya pay for it on certain "red label" stuff.and they are VERY reliable,,i bought from them when i was in maine,,,and didnt even think about stopping when i moved down here.

10. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

So they sent me a couple samples of there surfasolve pop-wipes. They remind me of like cleaning wipes or baby wipes. They appear to be saturated in the cleaning solution.

So I did a few tests. I used the wipes to clean both bottom paint and 5200 off my hands. I used a rag to wipe off the excess then the surfasolve wipes took the rest off. I was very impressed with how well they worked.

If you have any issues getting your hand and other things clean. I would suggest at least giving them a try. I am going to by a canister of them.

1 person likes this.
  11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thanks for the update man,,,maybe if i see some of the wipes i'd get those,,,,but will save my gun and things till after YOU try it,,hehe ;)

12. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

HAHAHA :) I was kind of hoping now that I tried the wipes that you would try the gun :)

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

um,,,,nope,,,,,ive had my gun so long its part of the family,,hehe ;) :D

14. HunterJ

HunterJ Junior Member

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

thanks man hehe ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.