Siemens NX and TeamCenter

Discussion in 'Software' started by DeWayne, Apr 24, 2019.

1. DeWayne

DeWayne Junior Member

Hello All,
    I am starting to look at NX now and have been trying to understand id the SHIP part of NX requires TEAMCENTER or can i do it all with just NX installed. Yes I see that I would be loosing allot of database support, but I am a one man band and am embedded into the Rhino/Maxsurf way. I have not found any info as to what feature I would loose if moving to NX only. The problem I have is running a server is another layer of complexity I would need to support.

If anyone out there has NX experience and can help me with pre sales questions from hands on I would be happy to take said person on as a consultant, As yo know hard to ask a question when you dont have the facts. The relationship between NX and TeamCenter is so integrated but I have the impression that many people use NX Stand alone. On that not would it be possible to Run both Team Center and NX on Windows 10 PRO on the same Machine.

I work on 2 machines, Desktop and notebook work station.

Thanks

2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

We use Solid Edge and blew off using Team Center. It didn't make sense for just two or three users. I can't imagine using it for a one man band. Also it was hideously expensive. It's been a few years since we looked at it, but if you can do what you need to without Team Center then I would not bother. JMHO and it could have changed since we looked at it but that is what we found. We have a server and the users store all the files on the server. For the most part we don't store files on different machines because you run the chance of overriding a newer file with an older version. Compared to Team Center, a single server is probably less expensive and you only buy it once. If you're just a one man band, I'd just store all the files on the desktop and work from that.

3. DeWayne

DeWayne Junior Member

Thankyou for your response, Following my thoughts exactly, However the part which I dont understand and can not find any information on is the SHIP module. I have been looking at the Siemens on line help and it is very good, All you do is type SHIP in the search box and a massive amount of info comes out. What is missing is can we use NX Standalone and get full benifit from the SHIP module.. I seen somewhere that SHIP needs teamcenter to work I do not think this is the case however maybe things like part numbers BOM etc will be totally lacking.

So I hope someone out there has a little experience with the ship MODULE

On the other side I am looking at SHipConstructor as well, On the surface it looks rather good option as well. Really trying to move from RHINO and the plugins, fighting with MaxSurf and its OLD Interface style etc, Had a look at SolidWorks but you will spend a lifetime constraining parts, In my opinion SolidWorks SUCKS for boat design and I know many will disagree with me, but the Tree and all the files, asssociations etc is just to much time to manage. A direct modeler Like IronCAD is great but lacks in Surfacing, Electrics HVAC Piping etc

So at the moment it seems the options are NX-SHIP, Catia, ShipConstructor

Thanks Guys in advance

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Welcome to the forum DeWayne,

I know the "issues" you face in terms of which software to use, but it seems you're getting in much deeper than I did.

Im curious what kind of work you do, as you note you're a one man band.
    I tried to message you, but it appears you have that facility turned off.

5. DeWayne

DeWayne Junior Member

Hello Ad Hoc
    I design one off catamarans in Aly and Dutch Barges, the game really needs to be raised to including all the design process besides the hull deck etc. AKA (Rhino) . need to develop the other systems on board to enable a better cnc cutting system. dewayne.young@me.com

6. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

Catia does some things well, but overall it sucks... I don't know anything about Ship part of NX. NX does surfacing better than what we use (solid edge), but overall I prefer Solid Edge to Solid Works. Solid works is very menu driven. That is, you have to go down a few levels to get to the commands. It's easier to learn, but it slows you down a lot once you know what you want to do. Solid Edge is IMO faster once you learn it because the commands are closer to the top. It might take a bit more to learn but it's faster in the end. You don't have to go down three levels to get to what you want to do. Generally speaking and from how it was pitched to us, team center was more oriented to storing and accessing your models and controlling changes to big models where you have multiple designers working with the same parts. It didn't have anything to do with the accessories you could add. The best person to talk to is your local rep. They are very helpful and if they don't have an answer they'll give you a call in number to NX and someone to talk to. BTW I had an issue with the latest release of Solid Edge. I installed the newest release and certain functions didn't work properly. Turned out the issue was with my computer, the video card I was using was old and had issues (I've had this computer for too long). The support guy not only figured out right away what the issue was, and he went out of the way to find updated drivers, sent me a link to the better drivers that got me back working in short order. Rather than just telling me it was my problem and generally what to do, they quickly solved it, and gave me tips on installing the new driver and got me back up and running. The Siemens support person was in the USA (and not India) really knew his stuff, and it was an overall good experience.

7. DeWayne

DeWayne Junior Member

Hello Yellowjacket great input, I got some feed back from Norway that NX SHIP does infact NEED TeramCenter to work, what is not clear is how well it NX SHIP would work with out TeamCenter, I think to a point it will work. Now about the local Rep thing,,,, WOW there I have a serious problem, I am from the UK but now am based in Vietnam and Thailand. So I am being FORCED to go via the VN Rep.. WHich all answers are YES, You PAY TODAY and trust all will be well. I asked hom Have you ever seen SHIP, have you ever been on a boat the answers is NO. Followed by YOU BY NOW !! OK !!!

Bloody emoys !!!! (

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.