Surface smoothness

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Panos_na, May 8, 2008.

1. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

In the windsurf industry, some boards have a nery smooth hull and others have a hull surface which is mat.

My question is, how much does the hull surface smoothness affect the resistance, boundary layer, etc?

Some say that the mat surface has better performance, while some others insist that a very smooth surface is better.

I think that everything has to do with laminar flow, turbulent flow, boundary layer, etc.
    Can someone give me more information..?

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

3. kazik_four

kazik_four New Member

2 people like this.
  4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

But that paper want the hull to be without dents, some theories I've heard say that at planing speed or above, you get air under the board, the bubbles get trapped in the dimples and dents, redusing the wetted surface, and therefore the friction. However I agree that a smooth surface is the best alround solution, as the dimples will probably have quite the oposite effect (to be read as "a brake") at speeds outside the optimum, with regard to speed and waves.

6. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

It's also been said that air bubbles stuck to the surface are bumps that increase the drag, hence the concern about wetting or not wetting the surface.

In "High Performance Sailing," Frank Bethwaite reports the tests he did towing full scale planing dinghies to measure the effect of different surface preparations. His finding was the bottom cannot be too smooth. Polished is better than anything else.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.