Surface Propeller Literature

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by xrudi, Aug 14, 2009.

1. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Surface propellers

Literature about surface propellers is still difficult to get. Normally you need a
    specialized library which is not available in all parts of the world.
    Is it legally possible to publish those articles full length in this forum or point its members to an internet address where they can get a full length article.

Here is a list of interesting publications about surface propellers.

1) Ferrando m., Scamarella A. Bose N Lui P., Veitch B., “Performance of a family of Surface Piercing Propellers” Royal Institute for Naval Architects (RINA) Transaction 2002 Part A 11pages

2) Ferrando M. Viviani M., Crotti S., Cassella P., Caldarella S. (2006) ‘Influence of Weber Number on Surface Piercing Propellers model tests scaling’ Proceedings of 7 th international Conference on Hydrodynamics (ICHD), Ischia 4- 6 October 2006

3) Rose & Kruppa 1991 “Methodical Series Model Test Result” FAST 91 Vol 2 Trondheim Norway 91

4) Ding Enbao, China Ship Scientific Research Center, China “ FAST 2007 Shanghai China, “A Series of Surface Piercing Propellers and it Applications”

5) A.V Pustoshny, Valery P. Boitsw, Krylov Shipbuilding Research Institute, Rassia FAST 2007 Shanghai, China “ Development of 5 Blades SPP Series for Fast Speed Boats”

6) H Brandt, Schiff und Hafen", 5/1973: "Modellversuche mit Schiffspropellern an der
    Wasseroberfläche".

Best Regards
    Rudi

2 people like this.
  2. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Fine initiative, Rudi, here two more:

J.B. Hadler and R. Hecker, Naval Ship Research and Development Center Washington DC; Performance of Partially Submerged Propellers.

Niclas Olofsson, Thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden; Force and Flow Characteristics of a Partially Submerged Propeller.

Both have useful lists of reference litterature.

3. sandhammaren05

sandhammaren05 Senior Member

Here are some reprints from ca. 1964-1973 that I have on hand in Austria. I have more in Houston but suspect that they're less interesting:

Robert F. Kress, High Speed Propeller Design, The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, paper E, presented at the Spring Meeting, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., Apr. 2-4, 1973.

Richard Heckler, Engine Propulsion Matching for High Speed Craft, Naval ship Research and Development Center, 720279

Robert Kress and E. L. Lorenz, Marine Propeller Selection, Michigan Wheel Co., 700094

Daniel Savitsky, Hydrodynamic Design of Planing Hulls, Marine Technology, Oct. 1964

Allan B. Murray, The Hydrodynamics of Planing Hulls, pp 758-692

I have no journal info for Murray, he's also not listed in Faltinsen's 2005 Cambridge book. The papers in this field are very hard to obtain, and a large part of the reason is that many are written, even mentioned on the web, with inadequately stated publication information.

I have the later paper by Kamen but would like to see:

J.B. Hadler and R. Heckler, Performance of Partially Submerged Propellers, Naval Ship and Development Center, no date given

4. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

I have the Hadler / Hecker report in paper form (46 pages). Unfortunately my scanner gave up life yesterday, so you will have to wait a few days until it is replaced.

5. sandhammaren05

Thanks, no problem.

6. baeckmo

baeckmo Hydrodynamics

Enclosed, please find a basic set of diagrams for the comparison between supercavitating, ventilating and "normal" propellers. The object is to show the typical trends to understand the principal differences, setting a common base for further discussions regarding high speed propellers.

Ref.: "Semi-submerged propellers for monohull displacement ships" D.A. Rains SNAME, "Propulsion of high-speed craft", Mavliudov, Rusetski, Sadovnikov and Fisher, Sudostroeniye

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It would be a violation of copyright laws to publish whole works. It is allowed to use exerpts as long as credits are included.

8. sandhammaren05

Isn't that already well-known?

9. brunello

brunello Junior Member

Ref.: "Semi-submerged propellers for monohull displacement ships" D.A. Rains SNAME, "Propulsion of high-speed craft", Mavliudov, Rusetski, Sadovnikov and Fisher, Sudostroeniye[/QUOTE]

DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE ABOVE PAPER FROM SNAME? THANKS BRUNELLO

10. sandhammaren05

DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE ABOVE PAPER FROM SNAME? THANKS BRUNELLO[/QUOTE]

No, but when you find a copy how about emailing a copy to me!?

11. sandhammaren05

Have just discovered that I'm missing the reference pages (693-) to

I need to know what are references 14 & 16, but mainly ref. 16 (Norman L. Skene), in case anyone can help me.

Thanks,
    Joe

12. SKR

SKR Alexander

I have a lot of material on the SPP, I download them freely and can be used for non-commercial purpose, that is, for its own needs. Also it can do everything else.

13. sandhammaren05

Hi,

If you can send me these missing pages

I need to know what are references 14 & 16, but mainly ref. 16 (Norman L. Skene), in case anyone can help me.

I'd appreciate it greatly.

Joe

14. PetterM

PetterM Senior Member

I cant get hold of this:
    J.B. Hedler, and R. Hecker "Performance of Partially Submerged Propellers", Proceedings of the Seventh Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Rome, Italy (1968).
    Does anyone have a copy that can be shared?

15. sandhammaren05

Hei Petter,

Kann du være så vennlig å sende meg et kopi?
    Beste vennlig hilsen,

Joe McCauley
    jmccauley@uh.edu

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.