Dynel needed

Discussion in 'Materials' started by loftypeak, Sep 14, 2012.

1. loftypeak

loftypeak New Member

Hi all, a newbie here.
    I am presently building the Arch Davis design Penobscot 14, just about ready to turn the hull over. I have chosen to depart from Arch's design at the bow, where he has a seat, and have brought the bulkhead up to the gunwales so that I can fit a small foredeck, this will give me more bouyancy and storage. I had planned to cover this deck with canvas, but have read that Epoxy coated Dynel looks almost the same and is a much more robust finish. The problem is that Dynel is not available in the UK, and I only need a very small piece, in fact 1 sq. yd will do the job! I have tried Jamestown Distributors, but they have not responded to my email. So I'm wondering if anyone out there may have an offcut kicking around that I could buy and that would be willing to ship to me here in the UK? Fingers crossed and thanks.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. loftypeak

loftypeak New Member

Thanks

That was quick! I have emailed them, thanks again.

4. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

5. loftypeak

loftypeak New Member

Thanks for that, I have made an enquiry with them Cheers

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I'd recommend you use Xynole, instead of Dynel, as it's twice as good at abrasion resistance than Dynel. Both of the materials are available on line and non-hazardous to ship. These two fabrics will not add any strength to the substrate, just abrasion resistance.

7. loftypeak

loftypeak New Member

Hi, I've never heard of Xynole, I picked up the Dynel idea from 'The Boatbuilders Apprentice', I hadn't heard of that either beforehand! The foredeck is too small for any practical purpose, so the finish is purely cosmetic. I have copper fittings from a 1906 6 meter that I plan to fit and I wanted something that is going to be in character. Thanks for your suggestion. Cheers

8. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

One yard of cloth can be folded and put in a medium manila folder and shipped to GB for under $5.00. Regular letter to China costs me $1.45.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.