Outboard Motor Out-Mounts or Outboard Bracket Installation Recommendations

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Guest, May 19, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What is the standard or recommendation (ie setback/rise of the cavitation plate above the hull bottom) for mounting outboard brackets to a 35’ power boat to be fitted with two 225 hp motors, the hull is a deep V (deadrise plus/minus 23 degrees).

2. badges65

badges65 Junior Member

Hi,
    mounting engine on pod or bracket external of transom is the same as mounting on transom, the only thing is if you have a pod with a bottom in it it needs to be at least 2" above the bottom of the hull thus allowing the prop to work in the pressure wave behind the hull, if you extend the pod in line with the hull bottom the pressure wave then is behind the prop again..
    don

3. larry

larry Guest

the right way

the proper way is to raise the motors one inch for every 12 inches of setback

4. john sage

john sage Guest

i have a 17'5 g3 bass boat and recently put a 75 h.p. ymaha four stroke on.i am having trouble with the boat propoising before i get to 3/4 full plane.can any one give me advice as to how low or high the motor should be on the transom? thanks john,you can e-mail me at dsage39564@aol.com

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Installing a bracket changes the dynamics of the boat. The center of effort, line of thrust and center of floatation change among others. Also, depending on the hull design, the height of the motor has to be adjusted. It works better on some boats than others. Porpoising is the usual side effect of extending the motor aft. Trim tabs help. Unless you want shallow water capability, it is a lot of work and expense.

6. JohnNZ

JohnNZ New Member

Outboard motor on old sternleg boat.

Hi all
    I've inherited a 20 year old 17' fibreglass hull, that used to have a sternleg in it. The hull is in great condition and I'd like to repower it.

I've been told that I can put a mounting for an outboard off the back of the boat - is this a good idea? A 115hp 2 stroke would be about the size I'd be investigating. (the old sternleg was a 120 horse volvo-penta).

It seems odd to me - all sorts of stress / leverage / control cabling issues I'd imagine - but it looks like being far cheaper than putting a new sterndrive in.

Any advice?
    What are the pitfalls etc of doing this?
    Anyone in NZ know of any commercially available mounting brackets - or ones to avoid?

Thanks!
    John

7. Bus Lahren

Bus Lahren New Member

Bus

I am considering putting an outboard on a 22 ft. Glassply. Is this possible and who would do such work? What size outboard would power it?

Thanks, Bus

8. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

:eek:
    What stern drives have you been looking at??? Are they that much higher in NZ? Here the prices are pretty comparable, with the I/Os tend to be a tad cheaper than outboards for the same HP.

9. Barnicle

Barnicle New Member

Outboard on Glassply

Bus,

I have a 19 foot Glassply and I have removed the I/O and Sterndrive. I am trying to find a manufacturer of fiberglass or aluminum (single engine pods). Any suggestions?

Barnicle

10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.