Watertight door

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by akhilsvnair, Jan 14, 2014.

1. akhilsvnair

akhilsvnair Naval Architect

Is it possible to give a watertight door with scuttle on it,Scuttle glass thickness is 12mm.Door is is designed for 0.4 bar from both sides.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm sure it could be done, as deep dive research subs have windows, but I don't know if it would be allowed.

Factors might be the type or strength of the glass, the size of the opening, and whether or not it might have to resist fire also. The location could be a factor, if it's an interior door or an exposed one subject to impacts that could break it. Probably too on whether it's an actual vertical door or maybe a horizontal hatch.

I don't know anything about NA or rules or classes etc, or what type of boat this might go on, but you might have to be more specific to get a good answer from someone here that would know the answer.

3. akhilsvnair

akhilsvnair Naval Architect

let us say this particular watertight door is located under the main deck(free board deck).which is separating the engine and machinery room(watertight bulkhead in between), do not consider any fire aspects. The door dimension is approx 1800x900 with a scuttle of 250 dia on it with a glass thickness of 12mm.0.4 bar is the applicable pressure on the door.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Again, I don't have the knowledge or ability to answer your question, but would the door have any explosion factors it would have to resist?

With the applicable pressure of 0.4 bar, I would suppose not.

0.4 bar is apparently equal to 5.80150952 psi which isn't a whole lot so I'm sure it could be done.

If you're working with what you have and the glass couldn't stand that pressure (with an added safety factor) you could make the scuttle smaller, assuming you could cut the glass smaller. A 150 diameter would work for observation.

5. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Of course yes, Google is your friend.

http://www.bohamet.com/strona.aspx?id=537&top=168&lng=2047

(Disclaimer: I have no association with the above company, it was the first Euro website to come up.)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.