5-axis milling machine

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mechatics, Feb 20, 2005.

1. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

dear all members
    i am mech engineer working in marine company. we manufacture fiberglass boat from range 17' to 145'. now we decide to go for automation for making plugs. i know about cnc machines and all that but i need to know about complete procedure from the scratch. from where i can get this all information, and my company give me this job as new in field.
    so plz. can anyone help me to get this all information that how it's installation,working,material,fiber lamination and all this thing.
    plzzzzzzzzzz
    thank u
    raj

2. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Go to:http://www.scaled.com/

They have just installed a very large five axis router for their aircraft making and for hire.

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

If you break down your search for information into small chunks,you are more likely to succeed.As far as I am aware,spe******ts in CNC machining do not mould boats as they concentrate on their own spe******t activity.If you are looking to buy a large machine it will take a considerable amount of time to build and another length of time to become familiar with.You will have to deal with designers capable of providing surface information rather than just a lines drawing and you will have to learn how to produce toolpaths from the surfaces.
    Once you have the shape,you have the task of producing a high quality finish and then moving on to mould making and then laminating your hull or other component.If you search for information on each of these topics in turn you should find a network of suppliers to talk to and you should talk to a lot of them as they will all have opinions.A lot of those opinions will be along the lines that their own product is the only one worth considering.Speak to lots of people about the companies both upstream and downstream of their own operation that they recommend.

4. yipster

yipster designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.