Apprenticeship as traditional wooden boat builder

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by bikemaniac, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bikemaniac

bikemaniac New Member

I'm in trouble! I just finished my masters degree in materials science/engineering (I have bachelor in mechanical engineering) but I have serious longings for wooden boat building. The standard engineering life does not appeal to me. I'm just not the behind the desk guy. I have been in various large engineering companies working or doing internships, and when watching those full-time employees I get a weird feeling in my stummick. I'm strange, because opposed to all my friends having done long academic educations I'm not looking for money, fame and career. My friends constantly talk about how much they are going to earn etc and what dishes they wanna buy for their new appartment. I don't have those feelings right now.

When I was 18 I built my own 16 foot canadian stip planked canoe so I have a bit experience and during the last 10 years I have always been acting like a handyman doing repair stuff for other people. I have been working as a bricklayer and blacksmith too. I really like working with my hands.

So what am I looking for? A small boat shop which uses traditional boat building techniques (small boats). I don't wanna work with glass fibre and computers. Ultimately I'm only interested in a place with four walls and roof (housing) + some food (money is not important). Very importantly I wanna be challanged. I wanna build something beautiful which I can be proud of. I would love if the boat shop were located in some beautiful nature/scenery maybe in the middle of nowhere where nature and craft becomes one! It would be really cool to hear the birds singing while working and watching how nature changes during the year. Am I just dreaming or do places like this still exist?

Data: Male, 27 years old, has been traveling a lot in Europe and America. Has bicycled three times across America. Speeks Danish, Engllish, German.

So let me hear. If the perfect job arises I'm willing to move anywhere - and I mean anywhere incl. Yukon and Alaska :).

Regards, Lucas Jensen

2. JFHammond

JFHammond Junior Member

Hello Lucas,

I have been down this road before with another builder and that builder was refused entry into Canada. What a hassle! I have recently expanded my boat business here in Ontario, Canada. I now have a 2700 sq.ft. shop with a 40ft sailboat and a 36 ft. cabin cruiser as well as a 1/2 dozen small craft jobs on the go. I am alone with the work except for my brother who is really not qualified for the work.
    The place is located on the southern part of the province next to the inner bay of Lake Erie.

Let me know if you are interested in visiting the shop for a "test run"

Jim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.