Superyacht Crewing Qualifications

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by Willallison, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

My (very boat-wise) nephew is completing his final year of school at the end of this year. He is hoping to trip off to Europe / US to do some crew work on superyachts.
    What should he do to get "qualifications" etc?

2. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Hi,
    most of the commercial superyachts are registered under the British flag, so you should take a look at MCA requirements I think.
    http://www.yachtingcrews.com/mca.htm
    I think there will be in the next years a sort of standardization in the requirements both for crew and for yachts themselves. Italy has just launched the rules for the classification of commercial yachts and crew under the Italian flag, in collaboration with MCA, so they're very similar, I think the british requirements will be a point of reference.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Thanks Nemo.
    A quick search reveals any number of people offering short courses and employment placement. I was just wondering if some are more highly regarded than others.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.