supersonic torpedo ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by vampiresquirrel, May 26, 2011.

1. yipster

yipster designer

Dont shout, we may be infringing some laws discussing this :rolleyes:

2. Hullborn

Hullborn New Member

Hello vampiresquirrel and all.
    I just joined the .net, this is my first post. Not familiar with this format so I welcome any posting advice. Thank you Hullborn:

I think a stepped planing hull is the same principle: a small surface in contact with the moving water creates a bubble of high-pressure air to support the trailing part of the hull.
    If I remember right, the Russian torpedo nose is a flat [athwartships-wise] circular shape somewhat smaller in diameter than the maximum diameter of the torpedo, but large enough to create a bubble that collapses just aft of, or near the stern of the torpedo, depending on the design velocity through the water. I don't think there was a need for an active blown gas near the nose, although it would probably be necessary for launching it at great depths with high ambient pressure to initiate creation of the bubble.
    I imagine there are "fins" near the stern to keep the torpedo centered and to steer it.
    I also imagine the nose flat could also steer or shape the bubble and the course of the torpedo by tilting slightly, left-right, up & down, under fast-acting computer control, of course.
    Hullborn

1 person likes this.
  3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Stepped planing hulls need to be ventilated to the atmosphere behind the steps to function properly. Otherwise the water may not separate cleanly from the step due to low pressure behind the step.

4. yipster

yipster designer

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Why the comment about the Volt? No one has ever claimed it creates fuel."

The Volt is my favorite car since its powered by coal,

the Volts do not drive up the cost of gas or diesel.

Almost as great as creating fuel.

FF

6. Hullborn

Hullborn New Member

Hi DCockey
    Regarding the stepped hull: I agree that steps must be ventilated to break loose the flow at low speed. My 3-point hydro, once up on a plane is certainly riding on a cushion of higher-than-ambient-pressure air. Evidence by the shape of the spray behind the steps, and the shape of the wake. The boat shows a difference between planing on smooth water or planing on a slight ripple. Observers say the boat is airborn, except for the steps, when going by at full-goose-bozo. This is about 40 knots, speed limited by the RPM and prop pitch.
    Do you know any more about, or do you have links to, the "super-sonic torpedo"?

Hullborn

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.