sup design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Eleanor, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor Junior Member

hello everyone!

i am trying to design a sup(stand up paddle board). i ve never been involved in such concept again. i am also going to construct it by myself. if you have any advice please let me know!!!!!

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Eleanor,
    probably best to check out as many SUP as possible and make it a parralell of them with the specific features you want.
    Jeff.

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Eleanor,

Good luck on your own design.
    But, it takes a lots of experience to get a good design.
    How will you choose features with no experience?

The best thing would be to get some plans, first time builds are difficult enough without doing the design yourself.
    Something like: http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/surf_boats/kaholo-stand-up-paddleboard.html

But I salute you if you go ahead and do it on your own. Since I haven't built one I don't have any suggestions.

Search on this forum and the woodenboat forum for previous articles for hints.

Good luck.

PS: if you were going to build a bigger boat I would suggest you make a small one to learn the wood/ fiberglass working skills. But, this is a smaller one so I don't know what to suggest. A kayak would end up the same size and not have the exact same skills required.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The design of your board depends largely on your skill level and also the intended use.

A beginner level will be fairly wide perhaps 80 cm. many boards are in the range of 3.5 meters long. A more skilled paddler might use a 70cm width and as much as 4 meters long. Not only that but your weight will have something to do with the configuration of the bottom. There is quite a lot to know about SUP types. Take your time and scan some of the postings on you tube and elsewhere to get some more specific ideas. Search this forum, there may be some good postings that you can use.

May you have the best of luck with your project.

5. fpjeepy05

fpjeepy05 Senior Member

I need more information to be helpful.

What is the intended use of the board?
    What construction method are you competent in?
    How much are you looking to spend?
    What program are you designing in?

6. Eleanor

Eleanor Junior Member

thank you all for the direct response.

i am new in sup world and i would like to design and build a surf kind sup. i am a young naval architect so i have experience in designing. I am going to design it in CAESES (fRIENDSHIP SYSTEMS) and use a potential flow code for resistance prediction. However as regards the construction, its going to be the first time for me and i am not yet sure about how.

7. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The CLC SUP designs are more displacement/race designs. They have a v hull forward and are longer and narrower than a surf board. Surf boards have a flat bottom -a straight line perpendicular to the direction of travel can be drawn at any station up the board. The only question on the profile is the radius at the tip. You could give it rocker, and have it taper up at the tail but that detract from planing which is what surf designs are for. You are doing the planing calculations so you will see.

I would suggest you look at the SUP dimensions on the free catalog from 'rapid media'. If I recall, the surf style boards are mostly 10 to 11ft and about 33" to 36" wide.

I would be very interested to know what your results are. My opinion is that surf SUP boards would need a lot more thrust than race profiles -more than mortals can SUP in flat water.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.