Complete Wiring Help

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by BabyMonkey, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BabyMonkey

BabyMonkey New Member

I got this boat and I know it will turn over but the wiring on it looks like a the three stooges did it. They actually have a household electric cord as part of the wiring system. When using the trim it only goes down no up at all. So I want to try and re-wire the whole system. But I really do not know where to start. I know nothing about wiring at all. Engine work is fine but wiring is not me. But I really want to do this on my own without taking it to a shop.:D
    The only thing I can tell you is that it is a Mecury 3.0 Engine.
    Where can I go and get some type of diagram to rewire. Do I need the Engine serial number or the transom assembly number to get a diagram?
    Any help would be so greatly appreciated. :):):)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The first thing is to take all the wiring out. It is the easiest thing to do. ABYC has all the standards for wiring including color coding.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If your not that good at wiring taking it all out will leave you in a right mess.

Just knife the looms open taking off all outer wrapping, loosly gather with ties and do one at a time.

4. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

If it goes up by holding the tilt switch, the round trim limit switch on the outdrive is probably broken. It has a screw to set it, but on an old boat it's often broken.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look at the book store here and get the "12 volt Bible". It'll nurse you through the confusion. I'll second not ripping it all out, but replace each wire, one by one as needed (check continuity first), so you don't create a bigger problem for yourself. Odds are the wiring is fine, but just needs some repairs, such as new connectors on the ends and cleaned contact surfaces.

6. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

PAR's recommendation of the Twelve Volt Bible is certainly a good one. I rely on "Boat Owners Mechanical an Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder. If you can work on an engine successfully you can rewire your boat. You just need to study for awhile before you jump in.

A few years ago I didn't know beans about DC or AC electrical systems. Books like those mentioned can really increase your knowledge.

Before you start tearing things apart get out your digital camera and take photos of everything. Shoot pictures from different angels and document everything. You'll then have a reference to go to after you've taken things apart. You'll need a multimeter. A digital multimeter would be preferred but an inexpensive analog meter will get you through. You'll also need wiring, connectors, crimpers, shrink wrap and more. I wouldn't start spending money until you do some reading and determine what you will need. I've found that one of the most challenging aspects of doing my electrical work is having all of the correct materials on hand.

Her's a link that might help you with the trim pump and another where I get a lot of my wiring supplies.

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech tilt trim motor tips.pdf

http://genuinedealz.com/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.